The Idol and Dad Jenkins

Ezekiel walked into the annex, humming a little to himself. He smiled as he saw the chaos in the room, piles of books everywhere, with Cassandra in the middle of one mountain, and Stone in the middle of another. They were both reading feverishly, Cassandra in particular getting very excited. He knew better than to interrupt either of them while they were reading, so he tried to sneak around them quietly instead. Unfortunately there was a stack of books he hadn't noticed.

He tripped over the books, letting the idol go from his hand. The idol glinted because of the lights in the annex, so both Stone and Cassandra looked up to see it. As Ezekiel hit the floor he felt a sharp pain in his shin and thought he was done for. He winced, waiting for the idol to hit the floor and smash into a million pieces. Just as he put his head down in shame, Jenkins appeared, catching the idol as if it was a game of catch.

A collective sigh filled the room. Cassandra went straight back to her books, but Stone stopped to see where the idol had come from. Ezekiel stumbled as he stood up, and Stone jumped, not realising the younger Librarian had even entered the room. Jenkins looked at Ezekiel disaprovingly, "Mr. Jones, do you have any idea what could've happened if this had smashed on the floor," he said, as if to his son.

"I didn't mean to, I just tripped over some books," Ezekiel replied.

"Yes, and considering your chronic issue with clumsiness Mr. Jones, your career as a Master Thief alludes me." Jenkins said, watching Ezekiel frown. Jenkins suddenly looked down at the idol he'd caught, concerned as to why Ezekiel had suddenly turned up with it. "Where did you get this?" He asked, looking at Ezekiel with the 'father look' again.

"Oh, I found it in the Greek section, I was going to ask whether Flynn had moved it or something," He lied quickly, his old instincts kicking in, and marvellously. Jenkins bought it, especially when Ezekiel mentioned Flynn. He knew that Jenkins thought Flynn was irresponsible, even more that he was, so it was easy to throw him under the bus.

Jenkins nodded to himself, before looking at the idol and walking out of the annex to put it in it's proper section. "So," Stone said, leaning over his book mountain to stare at Ezekiel. "What?" Ezekiel said, frowning at him. Why was he looking at him like that. He looked smug, like he was going to embarrass him. "Have you...seen Cindy lately?" Stone said, wiggling his eyebrows at Ezekiel like it was a code. Ezekiel, being fluent in all codes, knew exactly what he meant, but he wasn't going to act like he knew. Too much was at stake if he let something slip.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Ezekiel replied, looking around the room for something to do. Instead, he collapsed into one of the comfy chairs and began to 'pretend text' on his phone. "Come on man," Stone said, his voice higher as he got excited, "you disappeared, you must have seen her!" He said, sounding proud of the younger Librarian. Ezekiel shook his head, sounding as bored as possible to throw him off. Stone was in the right area afterall. "I haven't seen her since we stopped her from taking over the world with a love potion. Besides, she's probably met someone," he said, faking disappointed so Stone would leave him alone.

Instead, the cowboy's voice changed, "No way, sorry man," he said, pitying the younger Librarian. This made Ezekiel look up, staring at the cowboy. He had to stop himself from smiling, Stone really did care about him. "Don't worry," he said, giving Stone a small smile instead, "I'm Ezekiel Jones, nobody gets to me," he said, even though his heart was racing inside. He didn't like lying to him, he saw him as his older brother, but he just couldn't trust him with this. She was too important.

"What are you guys doing anyway?" He asked, looking at Stone and Cassandra's book mountains again. Stone chuckled, looking over at Cassandra fondly. "Cassie's reading the unedited versions of Harry Potter, turns out there was a lot more than what we thought, and I'm looking up the Serpent Brotherhood throughout history. Do you want to help?" Stone asked. Ezekiel went cold at the mention of the Serpent Brotherhood, which made him stammer. "Oh, cool, umm I'm starving, is there any pizza around?" He asked, before quickly disappearing. Stone frowned but thought it was just Ezekiel getting out of doing some reading, so he went back to his book, only looking up once or twice to watch Cassandra. She made the cutest faces when she was reading.