World's Second Best Thief

"You're late you idiot," a voice came from the dark corner. 

Ezekiel stood on the rooftop, surprised it was nighttime still. He looked out over the city, the twinkling lights making him think of jewels before he suddenly stepped back with a frown. "You know i hate heights," he said to the darkness, stepping away from the edge so that he couldn't see the streets below them. He turned around expectantly, a gasp coming from the shadows before she suddenly appeared out of the corner. 

Mordred looked at him with wide eyes before she frowned again. "Is that why you were late? You've been fighting?" She asked, stepping closer towards him. He noticed she had a dark bruise on her jaw so he frowned back at her. 

"Who've you been fighting? And where are we exactly?" He asked, looking out at the city and wondering why he couldn't recognise the lights around him. 

"Paris, naturally," Mordred said, walking past Ezekiel slowly to hold onto the railings of the building. She leaned over before sharply turning around, her head down as she swallowed hard. "I hate heights," she said, catching Ezekiel's cheeky grin and smiling at him. Ezekiel held his hands out and she took them. He pulled her away from the edge and they held each other tightly. Mordred buried her face in his shoulder and he closed his eyes. 

They stood there for a moment, until Mordred gently pushed off him. She had a strange, mysteriously cheeky look in her eyes. "What?" Ezekiel asked. 

"Umm, has Jenkins noticed yet?" she asked, grinning at him. 

"Noticed what?" he asked, genuinely confused. Mordred kept smiling until she suddenly realised that he didn't know what she was talking about. 

"Oh, nothing. No problem at all, i just thought Jenkins might have-," she started to ramble, "well, that gives me a bit more time to get it back, but-." 

"Get what back?" Ezekiel asked, watching her jump. 

"Nothing!" Mordred squealed, taking a few steps away. 

Ezekiel chased her steps, watching her intently, "Mordred, what did you do?" he asked.

"Nothing!" Mordred said, running away from him as he chased her. 

They scrambled about for a bit until Ezekiel got a hold of her around the waist and picked her up. She stopped squirming as she felt her feet lift off the ground. "When did you get so strong?" she asked, giving him a raised eyebrow before giggling. 

"Just after I met you again," He said, softer than he had been. He set her back down, still holding her waist from behind and putting his chin on her head. "I knew i had to be stronger so I could protect you." he added. Mordred smiled, feeling him cuddle closer to her. She forgot about Aphrodite's Girdle for a moment, but Ezekiel wasn't going to let it drop. 

"What did you do Mordred?" he asked. 

"I, might have stolen a relic from the Library," she said, unsure whether he'd be impressed or angry. 

"What? When?" He asked, lifting his head off her. 

She spun around in his arms. "When you were out on a mission. Du Lac told me if I didn't bring an artefact back this time The Serpent Brotherhood wouldn't look after me anymore." she said, watching Ezekiels' stoic expression closely. "I made sure Lamia forgot about how we got in and everything, and the Library still trusts me. It let me in through the front door practically," she said. 

Ezekiel was quiet for a moment. "The Library let you in?" He asked, confirming. 

Mordred nodded. 

"Then you must be an amazing thief. Best in the world if the Library let you in." he said finally. 

"I thought you were the World's Best Thief?" Mordred asked. 

Ezekiel shook his head, making Mordred's eyes widen. "You stole my heart," Ezekiel said, looking down at her, "You're definitely the Worlds' Best Thief."