Team Thief

I sat in the little cafe by myself, sipping coffee and wondering how long it would take before Ezekiel texted me. Whenever we were apart we tried to secretly message each other once in a while to keep the other updated on what we were doing. I loved Ezekiel's messages, because a lot of them were either really cheesy, or really suspicious. Either way, I hoped that Baird never found the photos of the sleeping Librarians Ezekiel had taken.

My phone buzzed violently on the table, and I laughed aloud. Well, speak of the cuddly devil. I picked up the phone and frowned, hearing a heavy panting from the other side. "Is that you Worlds Second Best Theif?" I asked, holding the title over him mercilessly. It was his idea afterall.

"Mordred, we have to get that Archie's garbage thing back. Now." Ezekiel said, still breathing heavily.

"Have you been running?" I asked, wondering why he was calling me if he was running away from something.

"I'm just putting some distance between me and Cassandra," Ezekiel sighed, "You've turned them against me. Well, except Stone, but we have a deal."

"What deal?" I asked.

"I didn't tell him anything about you, but he knows you exist." Ezekiel replied.

"How does he not know anything about me but knows I exist?! Ezekiel that's ridiculous!"

"Okay, so he knows that I have a girlfriend, and that that's where I've been sneaking off to. He also knows you must be really clever and know about people, because you wouldn't be my girlfriend if you didn't. Apart from that, he knows nothing. No specifics. No details." Ezekiel explained.

I sighed with relief, but he didn't let me just enjoy his voice for long. "Where's the Archibald garage anyway? We know that DuLac's got it, but we don't know exactly where." Ezekiel asked, making me giggle.

"Ezekiel," I said, smiling, "Do you mean Aphrodite's girdle?" I asked, listening to his silence.

"Yes," he murmured, embarrassed. "Now can you please tell me where it is?" He asked, a little impatient.

"Du Lac has it locked away in his secret special vault," I said, cringing as I waited for his reaction.

"You're the World's Greatest Thief!" Ezekiel yelled on the other side, "Surely you can get it." He added softer, putting complete confidence in her.

I sighed, replying slowly because I knew he wouldn't like what I had to say. "I can't do it on my own. The vault is made for two people to unlock." I was upset that I let him down, but I knew it was impossible to get into that vault.

"Well, I'll just have to go with you," Ezekiel replied.

"What! No, that's insane," I said, immediately worried as I thought of all the possibilities that we'd fail. If one of us got caught, or worse, didn't make it out.... I didn't know if we could do it. We were the best thieves in the world, but I didn't know if that was enough.

"Come on Mordred," Ezekiel said, calming me slightly with the tone of his voice, "I'm a Librarian, you're a Semi-Immortal Princess, and we're an amazing team," he said, making me smile when he called me a Princess.

"But what if I lose you?" I asked, gripping the phone tightly, "I don't want to be alone again."

"Sweetheart, I'm Ezekiel Jones," I heard him say, and I could have sworn he was leaning against a wall and grinning his crooked smile, "You couldn't lose me if you tried."

I smiled into the telephone, before sighing at him. "Fine, we can try," I finally agreed, and swore I could hear him burst into a grin.

"You still in Paris?" I heard him ask, now flirting.

"Of course, I'm lying low," I said, rolling my eyes as I thought of Du Lac.

"I'll meet you," Ezekiel said.

"How will you find me?" I asked. Suddenly his voice shifted, and I realised what was going on.

"Yeah man, thanks for my pizza, I'll see you soon," Ezekiel managed before quickly hanging up. I realised he must have been suddenly caught by one of the other Librarians, and he was protecting me from being discovered. I put my phone down, before frowning at my long abandoned book on the table. I had no clue what we were up against, but at least I still had Ezekiel on my side. Even if I didn't know how he was going to find me while also dodging the other Librarians.