Whirring and Purring

"Where are we?" Lamia started, jumping a little as the whirr of big engines reached her ears. She'd been asleep for hours, but she'd suddenly woken up. 

"We're on our flight, going back home," I said, eating Pringles out of a tiny tube. I wanted her to go back to sleep, but i knew she'd freak out now. She always did when her sleep wore off. 

"Home?" she asked, still drowsy from the memory potion i'd slipped her. 

"The Brotherhood's Headquarters, Du Lac's mansion," I said, reminding her gently. She sat up in her seat, frowning sleepily. 

"Okay," she said, before adding, "You were on the phone for a long time." 

My eyes widened, feeling worried. "Is that all you remember?" I asked. I hoped, like always, the potion had blurred enough of her memory to keep her oblivious about the library, but kept enough so that she could back me up on whatever story i decided to tell Du Lac. I was on my laptop, reading some mythological stories. Well, not so much stories as 'literature written by anonymous writers, based on a film, novel or television series'. Alright, it was a little fanfiction, but who isn't a sucker for that? 

"I remember a flash," Lamia said, rubbing her forehead, "and a belt thingy. Then we were in a coffee shop," she said, almost as if she was asking me whether she was right. 

"Yep, we were there until it closed at 11 o'clock, then we went to the airport, and you fell asleep as we got in the air." i said, filling in the rest of our night. 

"Ok," Lamia said, before licking her lips, "I'm starving," she said, looking around for food. 

"That's why I picked up your favourite before we left the airport," I said, revealing a bag and handing it to her. She smiled like a kid at Christmas. "You got me Sherby Squiggles!" she asked, bouncing up and down in her seat before stiffening up. "Thanks, that was a nice surprise." she said, forgetting about her earlier concerns. 

"Don't worry about it," i said, continuing to eat my Pringles, "just promise me you won't talk about Du Lac until we land," i smirked at her. 

She blushed, looking embarrassed, "I didn't," she said guiltily. 

"Only for a couple of hours," i smirked. She placed a palm to her forehead, before apologising profusely. I was glad her memory was hazy, because she'd said some pretty soul-bearing things before she'd fallen asleep. I'd heard some of the stories before, but i'd been fun to hear Lamia be so open. 

"So," Lamia yawned, "the person on the phone, that you were talking to, was everything okay?" she asked. I knew she'd be back to sleep again soon, so i gave her a little smile. 

"Yeah," I answered, but it was barely a whisper. 

"Are they in trouble?" she asked sleepily. I knew she didn't really understand what was happening, but she could obviously see the nervousness in my face. 

"They were," I began, "but they're okay now." 

"Do you think you'll go to them?" she asked, her eyelids dropping slowly, "It's okay you know, I won't tell anyone." 

"Maybe," i said quietly. After a moment she snored, i kind of purring that i'd gotten used to since i started working for the Serpent Brotherhood. "I hope he's alright," I whispered to myself. 

"I hope he's alright."