Broken Contract

"Wait, you microchipped Ezekiel?" Baird asked.

They were all following Jenkins to one of his labs. Cassandra and Stone were struggling to keep up with Baird and Jenkins. Stone was frowning. He hadn't realised how tall Baird was. When she paced she was definitely faster than him and Cassandra.

"Mr Carson and I thought it might be necessary, in case we discovered Ezekiel was betraying the Library's secrets." Jenkins replied. Once they'd reached the lab he started mixing ingredients. A green liquid here, a brown powder there.

"How did you do it?" Cassandra asked, watching Jenkins work.

"Well, uh," Jenkins spluttered.

Baird put her hands on her hips. "Jenkins," she warned.

"Alright," he cleared his throat, "Just after you all came back from London on your first mission, Ezekiel fell asleep in one of the chairs." Jenkins made a round motion with his hand.

"What?" Cassandra frowned.

"You were soaking up the magic cus we thought we were going home," Stone explained. "Wait, we thought we were going home!"

"Yes," Jenkins said, looking guilty, "Even with one mission, we thought it would be useful to know his movements," he said. He smiled a little to himself, thinking about it now.

"So what, you just microchipped him when he was asleep?" Baird asked.

Jenkins nodded in his 'weeeeell' kind of way. "We may have used a magical anasthetic I was researching."

"Jenkins!" Baird, Cassandra and Stone said together.

Jenkins seemed for the first time, to blush. "While I'm no longer proud of it, it is now useful." He grumbled defensively, "I had actually forgotten about it until now."

"Did you chip us?" Cassandra asked.

"We didn't consider you two," Jenkins said.

"Well I'm thinking about it now!" Stone said. He was getting more agitated now. He had been good so far, he hadn't told them about Ezekiel's girlfriend, but he wasn't sure how much longer he could keep it up. And if they were going to track him down?

"Please," Jenkins gave him a look, "Ezekiel is the only one of you who was already impacting the Library's work before Mr Carson brought him in. They had met before, they had history. Magic seemed to follow Ezekiel because he was the most attracted to valuable, magical artefacts."

"Was he lying to us?" Cassandra asked, her voice small and hurt. "Did he know magic existed?"

"Of course not," Jenkins said, "Luckily for the Library, Ezekiel was a skeptic. As far as he was concerned, everything that happened just meant he was more lucky than he thought."

"Wait, are you saying the Library is the reason Ezekiel is -," Stone began.

"Ezekiel Jones," Baird said, "Oh my god, Ezekiel would never have had the ego he did if it weren't for the Library."

Jenkins nodded sadly. "The Library makes few mistakes, but I think that Ezekiel Jones may be one of them." Jenkins fiddled more with what he was doing, before a puff of smoke formed into an orb in front of them. "Find me Ezekiel Jones," Jenkins said in the orb.

Stone chuckled, "Siri, find Ezekiel," he whispered.

"What?" Cassandra asked. She was the only one who had heard him.

"Nothing," He said, trying to stop himself from smiling. "Kid's rubbing off on me."

Cassandra frowned at him for a moment before they both realised the smoke was changing. The orb was becoming a tall, triangular building. Cassandra lit up when she saw the magic working, but Stone just felt more guilty.