Ezekiel Disappears Again

Ezekiel woke up early the next morning, his face almost in Cassandra's hair. It smelled nice even though she hadn't washed it. He sat up slowly, touching his black eye gently as he looked over the other Librarians. Ezekiel smiled to himself as he notice that Cassandra and Stone were almost inseparable, curled around each other so close they looked like one person. At least they were safe. 

He got up slowly, careful not touch the others just in case he woke them. This job had definitely taken its' toll on them all, making them all very light sleepers from all the magic and monsters they'd had to face in the past. He smiled down at the two before walking towards the large table in the middle of the annex. He picked up his jacket from the table before turning around and opening the back door. He stepped through the light and disappeared, leaving the Librarians still sleeping on the floor and the back door open. They'd never been able to follow him before, so he wasn't too worried that they'd notice the open door. 

................................................................................................................................................................

Colonel Baird walked into the annex a few hours later, pacing lightly as she held her coffee in one hand and a thick leather bound book in the other. On the cover of the book read 'Queen Victoria's Diary and the Demons of Asgora'. She'd found the book on her nightstand and thought that the Library wanted her to read it. She hadn't much had time for it until now. 

The annex was quiet, and she noticed Cassandra and Stone still sleeping on the floor, their arms and legs wrapped around each other with their heads pressed into each other. How much longer until they realised they liked each other? Eve shook and smiled, sitting down on a chair before glancing back at her Librarians. Ezekiel should have been there, cuddling up against Cassandra like he always did. They seemed like siblings sometimes, and Ezekiel had always been the little brother. But he had disappeared. 

Eve looked around the annex, wondering if he was tucked in a corner, wrapped in a blanket and playing on his phone. But he wasn't. Eve was starting to pace worriedly when Jenkins snuck in, already in one of his suits though he hadn't put shoes on yet. On his feet were a pair of red fuzzy socks that Cassandra had given him for Christmas. He looked at Colonel Baird with a concerned expression before concealing it with mild annoyance. 

"Colonel, what are you doing up so early?" Jenkins whispered, taking the book off of her to look at it. He frowned as he read the title, but he gave it back to the Guardian anyway. Eve shrugged, looking down at the page before closing the book softly and taking a sip of her coffee instead. She gave a cautious look to her Librarians on the floor before answering. "I wanted to make sure they'd slept alright. Can't have tired Librarians when we need to work," she said, trying to hide her real reason for waking off so early. 

"Colonel," Jenkins started, even though he was whispering the tone in his voice was definitely harsher. "Where's Ezekiel?" he asked, looking down at the two sleepy children on the floor. 

"That's what i was worried about," Baird answered, her whispering louder, "he's disappeared again. I'm worried he's not even sleeping anymore. Stone said he hasn't been too good, and Cassandra told me he's been disappearing for hours, starting about three months ago i think." She whispered quickly to Jenkins, putting her face in her hands defeated. 

Jenkins put a hand on her shoulder gently, making her look up at him. "Don't worry Colonel, he's probably just bored. He hasn't really been allowed to test himself lately," Jenkins said, pausing for a moment before adding nervously, "maybe he's testing to see if we notice when he's not here." Jenkins said, sounding confusingly sad. 

"I thought you didn't like Ezekiel's attention seeking," Eve whispered, noticing Jenkins frowning at the floor. 

"I don't. But i understand that that's why he does reckless things by himself. He's making sure we need him, and that we still care enough about him that when he disappears we'll notice," Jenkins explained, making Baird anxious. Ezekiel really did those things to make sure we still cared for him? Eve shook her head, looking at the open back door and frowning. She worried about all her Librarians, but Ezekiel the most. Even after all this time he still thought he was the most disposable, that they wouldn't notice if he was gone.