Chapter 13

Lukes POV

Delilah was the only thing that made this place bearable. I was walking back to my cell one day, anxious for her visit, when 3 guys jumped on me. One put all his attention on forcing his foot against my ribs, treating it as a soccer ball. Another focused on making my face his own personal punching bag. And the third one made sure I wasn't breathing by sealing my nose and mouth shut. I tried hard to get away, My ribs hurting like never before, my face turning black and blue from all the punches and kicks as well as the lack of oxygen.

Maybe this is it, maybe this'll kill me. All the fights I've fought and one lousy asylum fight's going to end it all? Such a terrible way to go out...

The men kept hurting me as my eyes slowly begun to close, I fought hard to keep them open but that white light was blinding and I couldn't bear to look at it any longer. I closed my eyes and just let those men take me.

Hardly awake, I felt the pain suddenly lessen as guards pulled those men off. My ribs and face felt as if they were on fire. My lungs begging for air, but my body isn't listening. Is this it? Am I dying? Is it too late?

Why can't I breathe? Why is my vision blurry? Where's Delilah? Will Leah be okay without me?

All these questions racing through my head. I couldn't see what was happening as my eyes were closed, but I felt two gentle fingers touch against my neck.

"He's got no pulse!!" I heard someone shout.

Next thing I know, some men lift my body and put it on a stretcher and into the ambulance. A breathing mask is put over my lips and held there tightly. Then it was taken off not too long after it was put on, and someone begun performing CPR, making my ribs hurt even worse.

I wanted to wake up, I wanted to tell them to stop. But I couldn't. How long could a person be like this before they're considered dead? Or am I already dead? I need Delilah, she'd know...

Then, as if it we're a switch. Everything went dark.

Next thing I know, I hear beeping and frantic noises. I opened my eyes slightly to see myself in a bland looking hospital room. Everything was blurry, but that's okay. Just as I began to close then again someone spoke to me.

"L-Luke?" I heard Delilah stutter nervously.

I opened my eyes to see her sitting next to me and holding my hand. I tried responding but the oxygen mask made it impossible.

"You need that, don't speak and it'll help." She said

I nodded in response with a small smile. She always knows what to do.

"Good to see that you're feeling well enough to smile." She said as she returned the smile.

I couldn't sit up. I made sure the blankets were covering waist down and then lifted my hospital gown to look at my ribs. I had a cast over them. I looked up at Delilah hoping she'd know what I was wondering as she usually does.

"Your ribs are broken, one of your broken ribs punctured your right lung and Your nose is broken." She said softly as she rubbed my hand with her thumb.

"H-Hey Luke?"

I looked up at her.

"Y-You almost died... The doctors say you did die for a little there..."

I nodded saying I knew that. I checked around for any doctors before sliding my breathing mask off.

"Luke! You need that." She said worriedly.

"I need to tell you something." I chuckled weakly.

"Ok, really quick then put your mask back on." She said.

"I can't say what I need to quickly."

"Could you attempt to? Luke, you need air."

"I love you." I said before placing my mask back on.

A big smile appeared on her face

"R-Really??" She said "D-Do you want to be my boyfriend?"

"Well, yes. But trust me, you don't want to date me."

"And why's that?" She asked, sitting on the hospital bed lightly.

"I am Psychotic beyond belief. I've killed many people. I killed my wife and my daughters mother after I discovered her cheating. I have people after me, bad people. A life with a psychotic man isn't a life well spent."

"Well what if running and gun fights are what I want? Psychotic men deserve happy endings too you know..."