{one}

chapter one~

THE city isn't so different from a small town. Except for the rude people, higher rates in death, and the everlasting stench of the polluted air. Although, I have to say that I love seeing the big buildings and the little children's mouths dropping in awe at the height of them, as did I the first time I arrived here, two months ago.

I've managed to gain a job at a coffee shop in Seattle, which is a city just a few miles from my old home. I do enjoy the manager at work, he's become a new friend, seeing as I can't spend time with Cody any longer. His parents decided to move to Ohio, for a career opportunity, so I had to say goodbye and live on my own. I truly do miss him, but Sam helps me forget when I work with him. Sam, the manager of the café, is a little older than my age, I believe he is 22.

I walk the streets most of the day, having no shelter to go to. I'm not complaining, though, because it keeps me from gaining any unnecessary fat.

I look up from frowning at my stomach, directing my eyes to my destination, work. My tiny feet pitter patter as I speed up to open the door to start my day. As I use all of the little strength I have, I open the heavy doors, sounding a little bell to go off as I enter the café.

"Heya, Ella!" Sam's lips curved into a warm smile, waving me further into the café. I walk behind the counter, grabbing my apron before starting a brew of coffee for the costumers that will soon enter.

"Morning, Sammy." I gave him a small smile before I brought my focus back to the coffee.

"So, uh, I was thinking, if you want, you could come with me to go get some pizza tonight, at Marco's?" He scratched his fluffy brown hair nervously, eliciting a giggle from my smiling lips.

"Sure, Sammy. How about after we close up, around 9:00?" I saw him smile in return, reacting to my response happily, turning the radio on to my favorite station. I begin to sway my hips to one of my favorite songs that starts to play, walking over to turn the sign onto 'Open' to start another usual day.

❥‣

The sky is beginning to darken as I finish attending to our last customer, who has asked for a cup to go and a chocolate cake. I hand him his change and absent-mindedly say goodbye in my haste to end the day, ravenous and ready for some good pizza.

Carefully and tiredly, I untie my apron, as well as taking my blonde thick hair out of its uncomfortable bun and letting it flow down, reaching just past my waist. I don't own any nice looking clothes, only the ones that I managed to stuff into my bag when the police gave me the remaining items from my closet. So now, all I am wearing is a way too big light grey hoodie and some short light pink jean shorts, since it's almost summer and quite surprisingly warm. Although, it does make me conscious of my tan skin showing on my short legs, and my sagging hoodie which goes way past my tiny torso.

"You ready, Ella?" I look up from my fingers still fiddling with my apron strings and up to Sammy's brown eyes.

"No, I'm sorry, can you help me? I seem to have created a small knot in the strings." I nervously giggle, embarrassed that I need help to untie my apron.

Sammy walks up to me slowly, looking down at my tangled apron strings, then his soft hands reach the root of the knot in what seems like milliseconds, smoothly untying the strings and slipping off my tiny apron. I blushed slightly but tried my best to push the blood back down, mentally laughing at myself for how silly I was being.

"Thanks, Sammy" We smiled at each other, heading out of the doors and locking up with his keys, then we continue across the street to Marco's for dinner.

The street was still bustling with people, but with drunk people, seeing as most sober ones left the city for home by now. I walk closer next to Sammy, scared of what could happen if I lost him while crossing the street. In reaction to my movement towards him, Sammy wraps his arm around my small waist, pulling me into his safe form.

The night went by fast, we talked for most of it. He laughed when I would embarrassingly get pizza sauce around my lips, causing him to have to ask for more napkins from our waiter. In the end, he bid me farewell as I lied and told him that I had a car parked a few blocks down, after begging him for what seemed like hours to just go. I had a great time, forgetting for a moment that I was going to spend the night sleeping on the grass of a park tonight, but moments can't last forever.

I put my hood up as I start to feel small teardrops falling from the sky. My hair is beginning to get soaked, but I have no place to dry off so I just let it remain wet, but I don't really mind it because I needed to clean it anyway. I haven't had a nice shower with shampoo and conditioner for about a few weeks now since I used up the rest of mine from my house. I usually just bathe at night in the lake when I know no one is near, but I won't tonight because of the infestation of drunk people flooding the streets.

My feet are beginning to freeze, I should probably find a phone box or a bus stop to sit under. I look around me for any sign of either one, but the dark sky and the now pouring rain makes it difficult to see more than a few feet in front of me. Giving up, I just sit under a tree, trying to close my eyes to rest up and sleep through this scary night.

But, before I can relax, I open my eyes after
being blinded by two bright headlights pointing right at me. Moving my arm to block out the blinding lights, I squint my eyes to see who is there.

Getting out of the fancy car, a very tall man walks towards me, and I instinctively back away while staying near the ground as if I could blend in.

"Come with me." His deep voice sounded before me, and a large hand reached down to me. I stayed still, hoping he would leave me alone, but he stayed there reaching out his hand for me to grab. After a while, it seemed like I had no choice, although I really did, so I hesitantly put my tiny shaky and cold hand into his warm and calloused one. As I rise from my sitting state, I notice just how tall this man is, and how much he towered over me. It was intimidating, but something in his baby blue eyes told me not to be scared.

This night most definitely has taken a turn, and I don't know how to react, but before I can ask who this man is, he directs me into his warm car and lays me on his lap as he starts the engine. This all seems very unusual, and I have no idea what his purpose of helping me is, but my tired body immediately falls into a deep sleep after snuggling closer to this strange man's warm body. My last thought is that I definitely should not be trusting this man, but I can't help but to except this overpowering feeling I have of being safe with him.

ᴥ̣̐⃟   ᴥ̣̐⃟   ᴥ̣̐⃟
' '
'
'
song: "the night we met" -lord huron & phoebe bridgers

a/n ok so yay! i'm still in the process of introducing the characters to you, but soon enough it will get better.

please give feedback, because sometimes what i write doesn't make sense. don't forget to share with your friends, because isn't this book just so great (jk)

sk
'
'
'    '
ᴥ̣̐⃟ ᴥ̣̐⃟ ᴥ̣̐⃟