Chapter 44: Always

My ears are ringing and my eyes are stinging. Fist and debris sprayed up into my face after the roof collapsed.

There's a horrible taste in my mouth.

"Any eyes on Dawson, Morgan or Shay? I can't reach them." Chiefs voice says.

"MORGAN!" I instantly hear Squad and Truck scrambling to find us.

"CALL OUT! DAWSON? SHAY?"

"Dawson! Shay! Morgan!"

"Jessica," Dawson's voice says. "Get up! I need you. Come on, Shay. Come on." She says. I blink repeatedly and I see Dawson giving Shay CPR.

"Shay!" I croak our.

"MORGAN!" Dawson shouts at me. "GET UP! GET UP!" Her voice cracks and I can tell she's crying "Get up."

"Shay! Shay!" Kelly runs down the stairs.

"Morgan! Get up!" Dawson repeats and then looks to Kelly. "Blow to the head. Compressions. Switch on three with me. Ready? One two three." Kelly takes over compressions while Dawson does rescue breaths.

I sit up and drag myself forward with my hands. There's a searing pain in my left leg. I begin to cry when I get closer and see how pale Shay is underneath all the black dust and dirt that's settled on her face.

"Come on, Shay. Come on, Shay!" I repeat in a very hoarse voice. I can barely breathe. "Come on, Shay!"

"No, no, no. No. No. No. No." Kelly repeats again and again and again.

"Let's get her to the ambulance." Casey says and takes Dawson's arm. She shoves him off and goes back to her. "Gab—"

"Let go of me!" She shouts and pushes him away.

"Gabby!"

"Hang on! Hold on!" I scream.

"Shay!" Kelly shouts.

Gabby tried to give more rescue breaths but she's sobbing to hard and the men from Truck lift her body up and carry her away.

"No! Shay! Shay!" Kelly shouts.

The three of us struggle to move at all we're sobbing so much.

Six weeks later

"Ah-ha! Look who's here!"

"Ay! Peter Mills!"

Mills walks onto the apparatus floor after being away recovering from his fractured leg.

"I'm back." He cheers. "I have never been so happy to see so many ugly faces."

"I am surprised to see you," says Chief walking outside.

"Cast came off. They cleared me. Hinted I should wait another week, but I am done staring at ceilings."

"Well maybe you should listen to them."

"I am 100%, Chief. I'm good as new." Mills assures him and pretends to box making the others laugh.

"Great to have you back." Chief ends up saying.

"Any word from Severide?" He asks and everyone looks away. Mills looks at me, but I keep my eyes to the floor, leaning on the Squad table.

"Hey, sorry, Chief." Dawson turns up. "I had an appointment that ran long. Peter Mills." She stops short.

He stretches out his arms and hugs her. "Hey, Gabby."

"Hey. You good?"

"Good as new." He taps his leg.