Chapter 1: Pilot

"Firehouse 51, ambulance 61. Multiple gunshot injuries, 934 Rosabel Road." Our radios say as we pull up to the location we are supposed to be at, with a couple of police cars controlling on-lookers.

"What's up?" I ask the nearest officer.

"Two GSW's. One's an organ donor, another hit in the gut."

"Shooter?"

"Gone but this happened less than ten minutes ago we're sweeping." He says and my partner Gabby Dawson and I head to the door and enter the building.

Inside music with a beat, that I can feel in my stomach, is being blasted as we pass a man slumped against a wall that has left a stripe of blood against the white paint. Dead. We pass him and the officer shows us into the room with the patient.

"Oh, god." He gasps and looks away.

"What's your name?" Dawson asks the boy on the couch, clutching a shot wound.

"Ricky."

"You buying or selling, Ricky?"

"Bitch, just fix me up!" He scowls at her.

"Maybe we should let him bleed a while." I joke to Dawson, while ripping open a new gauze.

"I put one in that G.D. Hit him right in the head." Ricky says.

"Yeah, I don't think so, Ricky. He's gone." Gabby frowns.

"No, man, I hit him."

"Hey, we think the shooter's upstairs." The officer says to us.

"Okay, we're good here." I nod and he turns and leaves the room.

"Ricky, have you been using? We need to know so that we don't give you something that can make you go into shock, okay?" Dawson asks him but I turn away from our patient when I hear the door behind me click open.

I see a man in a white shirt with blood stains all down the front of it and he's holding a gun towards us.

"Whoa! Whoa, whoa." I shout when he cocks it.

"Rise up, fool! I told you I shot him." Ricky tries to stand up but Dawson shoves him back down.

"Sit down. I need to look at your head." I say to the man holding the gun. "It's all right, okay? I'm just gonna take a look. Just take a seat. I just want to take a look, okay? Your head's in bad shape, but I'm only gonna help you if you drop that piece on the floor. You need to drop the gun or we're leaving."

"Come on." He almost begs.

"Not until you drop that gun," I say. He hesitates and my heart beats fast and hard in my chest. "DROP THE GUN NOW!" He drops the weapon and two police officers jog into the room.

"Turn around! Hands behind your back!" They order him before picking up the gun and keeping the man in custody. "Weapon secured." The police take him from the room and we get on with treating Ricky by putting a gauze over his shot wound and then wheeling him out of the building and taking him to the ambo.

"Gabriela, Jessica. What can I say?" The officer in charge of the scene speaks to us when we exit the building.

"Say you'll check the closet next time." Gabby retorts and then we load up before driving to Med.

As soon as we get Ricky inside Med we get called out to another scene along with Truck 81 and Squad 3.

It's gonna be a busy shift.