Prologue

"Life. It is something that most of us take for granted. We all get up, go to school or work, come home just to eat dinner and maybe catch a movie on Netflix before going to bed, only to get up and repeat the same cycle over and over again. I was Gabe's friend, as were the ones behind me," said a young brunette girl named Jamie as she struggled to hold herself together at the funeral of her long time friend.

"Gabe was always happy, even when life was being a bitch. He was very thoughtful, kind and compassionate towards others. He helped us all feel good about being well...nerdy. I never really felt comfortable in my own skin until we met," Jamie sniffled, doing her best not to completely break down.

"I remember when I first met him. It was during the second semester of high school and I had just transferred from a school in Brooklyn. Some of us remember that feeling of being "the new kid" right? Leaving old friends behind and moving to a new area with no choice but to adapt and make new friends is something not everyone likes to do," she continued.

"But Gabe..." She paused, tears streaming down as she held the letter in her hands. "Gabe was the first person to greet me on my way in the door..."

Jamie nervously sat in her mother's car as they pulled up to her new school

"Okay honey, here we are!" Jessica said enthusiastically, looking over at her daughter with a smile.

"Yeah... here we are," Jamie replied lethargically, sinking in her seat as several students passed her car.

"Oh sweetie, what's the matter?" Jessica asked, reaching out to run a hand through her auburn locks. "First day jitters?"

"Nooo, I'm only acting this way because I can't contain my excitement much longer," Jamie muttered flatly.

"Jamie Sanders, don't get smart with me young lady. Now you are going to march up to that school and make some new friends," Jessica said firmly.

"But mom, what if nobody likes me!? Look at me, I look like I got dressed in the dark. Meanwhile, these other girls are pretty much perfect looking with their fancy clothes and perfect breasts," Jamie grumbled.

"You worry too much, Jamie," Jessica stated, reaching over and pressing a kiss to her daughter's cheek.

"Says the woman who had no trouble getting a boyfriend like... at all," Jamie fired back. "You had boys falling at your feet."

"Now Jamie, you are a beautiful young lady. You sell yourself short. Just be yourself, and if people won't accept you for that, then they aren't worth your time," Jessica beamed.

Jamie sighed and put her Shinx beanie on and pushed open the car door to get out.

"Remember, be yourself!" Jessica called to her as Jamie walked towards the administration building. "I love you!"

"Love you too!" Jamie called without looking back.

As she walked, Jamie couldn't help but notice the other students walking into the building. She could spot the cliques right away. Ahead of her were several girls dressed in short skirts and matching converses. The tall one in the center, she assumed, was the Queen B. A few steps ahead of them were the obvious school jocks wearing their team blazers and flaunting how hot they were by the way they swaggered about.