Chapter Twenty-Five

This is it...

Gabe took a deep breath and pushed off the wall in the tunnel he'd been leaning against, and stood beside his partner, Jupiter. It was a strange feeling for Gabe to be battling alongside the enemy. And while that was the truth, he began to see her as an acquaintance rather than a foe in the short time they'd known each other. As if that weren't enough, they were about to get to know each other in the most intimate language known only to Trainers. Battle...

Gabe could hear the roar of the crowd thundering through the arena as the host of the Hearthome City Battle Tournament got up on stage. The man boasted a powerful presence and carried himself with dignity. Taking the microphone, he cast his gaze upon the spectators and enthusiastically greeted the crowd. Though large crowds weren't his thing, he knew that Palmer was in the crowd along with his mother. Having spoken to them prior to entering the tunnel, he was given a little confidence boost, so that helped.

"Gooooood afternoon Hearthome!" He exclaimed, getting a pumped reaction from the crowd. "Welcome to the annual Hearthome City Battle Tournament! It brings me great pleasure to bring you a first in the history of this event," he waxed on.

"As all of you are aware, this year we have decided to host a double battle style tournament. This will be the first of many more in the future. With that being said, I won't make you all wait any longer. You all came to see battles, not listen to me ramble. So let's bring out our first two teams!" boomed the host as he motioned to the board.

The screen lit up to display Gabe and Jupiter on the right and their opponents, Dennis and Kimberly on the left. Taking their cues, both teams walked out of their tunnels and assumed their positions in their respective trainer boxes. The host stepped down as the judge for the event assumed his post.

"The rules of engagement are as follows. Both sides are allowed four Pokémon each! That's two Pokémon per partner! The battle ends when either side loses all four Pokémon! Switch-ins are prohibited!" the judge elaborated.

No switches huh? That's new. It must be to speed matches along because of all the entries, thought Gabe as he listened to the judge further explain the rules.

"Now that the rules have been explained... trainers, send out your first Pokémon!" boomed the judge.

Jupiter and I agreed Jamie and Toxicroak first so...

Gabe snatched Jamie's ball and enlarged it, Jupiter doing the same to her first choice as well, before launching it.

"Jamie, let's do this!" Gabe called out.

"Toxicroak, it's time!" Jupiter stated in a commanding tone.

Emerging from their spheres, Jamie and Toxicroak assumed battle positions, giving each other a side glance in greeting before readying themselves for their opposition.

"Hippowdon, you're up!" Kimberly exclaimed.

"Gible, time to battle!" Dennis shouted.

The black, Heavyweight Pokémon and the Land Shark Pokémon materialized onto the battlefield and prepared themselves for a fight. The instant they were summoned, an unexpected sandstorm erupted from Hippowdon, making it more difficult for viewers to see.

"It appears that our opponents have given themselves quite the advantage. Two Ground-types against a Poison and an Electric-type... how convenient for them," Jupiter mused with a giggle.

"You're right... Jamie won't be really effective here with only one move to go against their combination. Well... she can't take a Hippowdon, but that Gible on the other hand..." Gabe trailed off.