Chapter 18 - Getting Better Slowly

I was breathing heavily. I had gotten so much weaker and I could barely stay awake for more than a few minutes every two hours. 

Doctor Connors said he was very close to finding a cure but I was sure it wouldn't be soon enough. There's no way that there's enough time left for me to go on. 

"Peter, I finished the cure!" Doctor Connors yelled, running over to my bed. "Peter?" I opened my eyes halfway. 

"That's... great..." I said between breaths. I could barely speak. I couldn't move at all. 

"Peter?!" I heard a different voice. It was Sam, and he seemed worried. 

"I'm... okay... I'm still... here..." I whispered. Sam seemed horrified. 

"Doctor Connors, you might have to do that surgery..." Sam said softly. I tried to shake my head.

"I will be... fine..." I gasped. Doctor Connors looked conflicted. 

"Yes... We'll have to give him the cure during surgery." He said, staring at the ground. I closed my eyes, too exhausted to cry. 

"No... I don't... want to..." I moaned out. Nobody listened to me. I was given some sort of sedative and I fell asleep immediately.

When I woke up, my entire team was around me. I could actually move now and I was feeling much better. Most of my injuries were healed from my healing factor. 

"What's going on?" Talking was no longer hard labor. 

"Peter! Oh my gosh!" Sam yelled, hugging me tight. 

"Pete, you're okay!" I looked up to see Harry Osborn. He hugged me after throwing Sam off of me, cuddling me tightly. I just enjoyed the physical contact that I so desperately needed. It felt like forever since I've been hugged, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. 

Harry was shoved away as my entire team hugged me and Harry began to pout. 

"Welcome back, oh fearless leader." Danny said, laughing. I smiled, feeling much better than I have in a long time. 

"It's good to be healthy again." I said, poking his cheek. Sam pushed him out of the way, kissing me aggressively. The others pretended to gag and yelled at us to get a room. 

I laughed and hugged Sam, my amazing boyfriend, close to me. I never wanted to leave him. I could move my upper body but I couldn't move my legs at all. That will be improved eventually is what Doctor Connors told me. I wanted to get better faster... That kinda sucks that I'll heal so slowly but it's the price I must pay. 

Eventually my team left, having to respond to a threat in the city. Harry got to stay though and we talked over what happened. I told him everything.