Five

Over the next few days, we all got practice killing them. With some experimentation my theory is proven correct and the fact that destroying the brain is the only way that kills them is confirmed. There aren't many but there's enough for us to get used to it. We begin actually doing useful things with our time. We each do watches, practice cooking, practice driving and also practice killing. All in all, my days have been full of things to do. And, although it's tiring, it's a welcome change to the unbearable boredom of before. So far, Noah and Alex have sufficient training behind the wheel. However, Mark and Solomon were finding it hard to get to grips with it and I hadn't even gotten around to teaching Jayden.

We were getting ready for the run. I was hoping to do it in the next few days although I had been waiting for over a week. I traced back to the day it happened. April 1st. I woke up the evening of April 16th. And today was April 24th. Twenty four days the world had been ruined. Twenty four days the dead had roamed the Earth. And twenty four days I had spent here.

It's strange, because despite the fact that if I walked out of the gate unarmed then imminent death would soon follow. I was beginning to become content in my life here. I was needed and I was respected and I was happy. And, for now at least, we were safe. That was something the majority of the world couldn't say.

The only thing that bothered me was Jayden. We had a rocky past. But I was willing to forget if he was, and at first I actually believed he was going to. But every turn I take Jayden watches me. Not in a distrustful way. Simply a sensitivity to my movement. Which tells me he's paying close attention. But I try to ignore it.

I make my way from the showers to our room. I catch Jayden in there on his own and give him a half hearted smile. And even as I make my way to my bed, I feel him watching me. I put some things away and stand to face him. "So, Jayden I still need to teach how to drive. When are you-" I turn fully and catch him sliding the lock forwards. It makes a small clunk as the door locks.

I freeze, unsure of what to do next.

He looks up and his eyes lock with mine. "Ophelia, Ophelia." He says softly, making his way over to me. He stops several steps away from me. I tense and begin thinking of a way out. He begins saying something and steps forward warily.

I take my chance. I jump forward and elbow him in the nose. He staggers back. I sprint for the door unlatching it and running into the next room. Mark sits there pulling apart his gun. I smooth myself down and walk over to him casually. "Can you teach me to do that?" I ask. He looks up and smiles.

"Course." He says.

He catches my eye "You okay?" He asks.

I nod and say "Fine. Just tired. Noah has me doing so much." I sit down next him and watch closely. Just then Jayden clatters past. He stops and our eyes meet before he slugs off. I give a sigh of relief.

A few hours later, I sit watching once again. But my regular watches have brought peace to my life. Noah often comes and visits we sit and talk. Before he goes afterwards. Usually, I'll stick around for an hour or so before getting on with my day. We sit in silence for a while. It's not awkward, the silence is like an unsaid moment where both just think to ourselves. Only for a moment, then we go back to talking. Sometimes, I recite recipes that he copies down, sometimes we play stupid games and sometimes we just talk. He's begun to call me Ophey again. But only up here. Because that nickname is between us.

"So." He says finally. "That fresh start I was talking about. Did you get it?" He asks.

"I think so. Mostly. But I don't want this to be the only me. I'm keeping my past a bit. This can't be the only thing I know." I say.