Twenty

I roll over and fall onto the floor. I jump up alert only to realise I'd woken myself up. I check my watch. It was early afternoon. What the hell, I'm never up this late. The other half of the bed is empty, Noah was awake. I grab some clothes and make my way downstairs. Someone throws a box at me and I realise it's paracetamol. I swallow down two tablets and sit next to Noah at the counter.

Everybody's awake and eating lunch. Stella's cooking something on the stove. I crane my neck to see bacon, my mouth immediately waters. I jump up and grab a frying pan, cooking myself some toast, egg and lots and lots of bacon. As I return to my seat with my plate full of lunch, I see my friends eyes follow me in humour. "Nice sleep?" Mark asks. I nod woke devouring my food. He chuckles slightly. Noah goes to take a bite of my toast but I snatch it from him and take a bite out of it.

"Hungry?" He asks with a raised eyebrow.

I swallow. "You don't even know." I reply.

He steals a look at my nearly empty plate. "I think I would." He says, smiling.

After I've finished my lunch I make my way to the office where there's leaflets on medical training. I also find plenty of booklets in the cabinets in case of a medical emergency. I've made it my personal responsibility to learn as much as I can about medical procedures and training. Because, for all we know, Jayden's death could've been prevented.

I manage to get all the medical information up to my bedroom in only two runs. I throw them on the floor and begin looking through them all. I go for simple things like CPR first. But my splitting headache doesn't help. I pull the paracetamol box out of my pocket and gulp two more. I plan on working through the night.

Laurence's P.O.V

After Ophelia left, I began working on the blueprints again. Although I find myself thinking of Jayden. They're neither bad nor good thoughts. I remember him when we were no younger than thirteen. Kicking football's and teasing each other. It seems like a lifetime ago now. A different place, a different life. I miss small things like having my mum cook dinner for us every night. My siblings and I would sit at the table, bickering and waiting for the food. My mum would tell us off but there was always humour in her scolding.

I remember my brothers and sister. I miss them now. It was like I wanted to them to disappear, but now, now I would give anything to have them with me. As the clock ticks past five, I pull myself up and make my way to Jayden's grave. The sun's drooping in the sky and night is approaching fast. I sit next to the headstone, facing the newly turned soil. For a while, I just sit there. I grab a few surrounding flowers and place them on the mound. Within a few weeks, the soil will grass over once more and slowly the wood will rot. A day will come where no one will remember Jayden Ellyas. It's in that moment that I decide never to wish death upon another person again.

I look up and realise the sun is gone and in its place a full moon shines brightly. I sigh and pull myself up. I make my way to the kitchen. Everybody turns to me expectantly and I give them a questioning look. "What?" I ask, confused.

Alex stands up. "Have you seen Ophelia, we're starving." He says.

I nod and make my way upstairs. I edge the door open and see Ophelia cross legged on the floor next to a huge pile of books, she glares into one, upon my entrance she looks up. "Yeah?" She says.

I enter the room. "Uhm the guys were wondering if you could cook something, it's gone six and they're hungry I guess." I say.

She checks her watch and jumps up. "Oh! Sorry."

She makes her way out of the door but I catch her. "What are all those books for." I ask, holding her shoulders.

"Well it's just, no one knew what to when well- you know, Jayden. I want to be prepared next time." She replies quickly.

"Next time?" I exclaim.

"Well you know what I mean" she says.

She squirms out of my grip and makes her way downstairs. I glance in the room and as expected all the titles are medical or other.

As soon as I enter the room, the sound of sizzling bacon and chatting hits me. Ophelia is standing in front of the stove, concentrating hard. I make my way over and begin cooking next to her. She smiles at me in thanks and we work in comfortable silence.

After dinner, everyone heads upstairs for an early night. Except for me and Ophelia. "Hey I'm gonna jump in the shower, will you be okay with all that." I motion towards the pile of dirty plates.

"Fine." She says quietly and leaves. I don't take too long in the shower but when I'm out and I check in the kitchen, it's empty. I head upstairs and into the bedroom.

When I open the door, the lights are off and Ophelia is in bed. I slide into bed next to her and wrap my arms around her. She turns to face me and buries herself into my chest. Her body begins to rock as she sobs. I pull her away from my chest. "Ophey." I whisper, rubbing her back. "What's wrong?" I ask quietly.

She looks at me through glassy eyes. "I should've stopped i-it. I shoul-should've known. He didn't h-ha-have to die." She stammers through her words and I hug her to my chest again.

"It's not your fault. It never was." I say soothingly. She shakes her head against me but soon she's asleep but I don't let go of her.