Thirteen

Laurence's POV

2 A.M.

I've been here for nearly two hours. Ophelia's still muttering in her sleep and I know she's having a nightmare. She's already woken up twice tonight and by morning she'll be exhausted. It's interesting watching her sleep. Actually watching her. She moves a lot. Shifting. Her jaw clenches whenever she's having a nightmare and she often randomly grabs something.

Ophelia Clarke was definitely something. Even before all this, she was fiery. She had a bad life. I of all people knew that, from about thirteen years old onwards we were just us. She told me everything and no one but us knew about it. She always had something to say. She was both predictable and unpredictable in the strangest of ways. She was strong in more way than one. And despite her violent ways, she never lost her temper. Surprisingly, I was the only person that noticed that. The fact that she'd mess around a lot and play with you, but at no point would she lose her shit. As time went on, I came to respect her and her past and everything that came with it.

I felt sorry for her. The things she told me were horrific. Memories no child should have, she'd laugh about them. Rub it off, talk about other people's situations. She didn't realise what people had done to her. She lived with it and accepted it. But I remember her losing herself sometimes. She'd go into a trance almost. She wouldn't smile and would hardly talk. And no one could do anything about it only she could pull herself out of it, and she always did.

5 A.M.

She keeps stirring, I think she's going to wake up soon. Within the hour possibly, no wonder she was always awake before me. I'm nowhere near awake until seven and even then it takes me nearly an hour to be fully functional.

She tosses and turns. I wonder how she ever gets a good night's sleep. Maybe she doesn't. I fall asleep staring at her, finally.

Ophelia's POV

I woke late. It was nearly six thirty by the time I was up.

I've already finished everybody's rooms. They seem more homely and welcoming now. More us. And I most definitely like it. I have a watch at ten so I shower and get myself something to eat. After I'm finished, I still have over two hours before I'm due to start, so I take a seat outside on the lookout, staring out at the street.

"Tired?" Noah asks as he saunters over to me. I shake my head. "Really? You were tossing all night. I was surprised you rested at all. I know I didn't." He says.

"Yeah. I had a lot of nightmares. But I'll be fine I can run perfectly on three hours sleep. So seven hours of disturbed sleep will work for me." I reply easily. He nods and sets himself a sandwich.

"It's not your fault." I say sadly. He looks up at me. "It's not your fault I have nightmares." I finish.

He looks at the floor almost I shame. "Yes it is." Regret lacing his tone.

"Noah," I say, walking over to him. "Noah." I repeat. He looks back up at me. "It's not your fault. You can't protect me form everything. And it's in no way your fault." I whisper. His eyes soften and I pull him into a hug. "You're the most amazing friend." I whisper, trying to hold back tears. He nods against me and I hold him closer.

"I have to go." I say pulling away from him. His eyes are almost sorrowful and I give him another quick hug before leaving. Noah is nice. Sometimes too nice. I arrive a few minutes early but Solomon is relieved. I give him a quick smile and let him go and get some breakfast.

He stops in the doorway. "You okay, Ophelia?" Solomon asks. Solomon and I hadn't really talked since months ago. We were actually quite close, Solomon was a funny guy. He had the kind of humour that was very crude and inappropriate, but it always lightened the mood and it was always the best type of humour for growing teenagers.

"Fine." I mutter before turning to face the park.

"God you're a bad actor." He says, walking over. "Put some energy into it!" He says. I smile slightly and he knocks my shoulder.

"Noah is down in the kitchen by the way, bet you could convince him to make you something up," I say willing him to leave.

"Trying to get rid of me?" He asks with a raised eyebrow.

"Never!" I say with a fake offended tone. He chuckles.

"I missed you, Solomon." I sigh.

He leans against the wall. "I was here the whole time. From the start" He replies coolly.

"True. We haven't talked much. Just talking to you adds some normality." I say with longing in my tone.

"To be honest, same for me." He replies.

"Remember when we were like fifteen and Alex, Noah and you would walk home with us." I say.

He nods with a glint in his eyes. "Baqi was there too." He says.

Ugh. I laugh. "Hated that guy." I say fully serious.

He nods. "I know. Only because he hurt Laura." He replies matter of factly. That was true. But he was a bad guy anyway. No personality. Worst type of person. There was a time where we'd text every day. That time ended long ago.

"Anyway sweet cheeks, I must leave you." He states completely unsmiling.

I burst out laughing. "I missed that nickname, you hormonal teenager. Wait, how is the water project coming along? I ask as he moves to leave.

"Good, really good, I've got gallons of clean water all stocked up and stored away ready to use whenever we need, I've been having a look at all the gutter that are rigged up on the main building, I'll have to clean them but I think I can figure out a way of collecting it and rigging it up to a makeshift shower. I might even find a way to heat it before we use it, I do not like cold showers," he says before leaving. I sigh. I haven't had a nice conversation like that in so long