Eighteen

Noah's P.O.V.

I sit in the kitchen with Mark. He seems normal now, not as sulky or sad. We're working on blueprints of both the school grounds and then also blueprints of the streets and buildings that surround us. It's strange visualising where you've spent your entire life and how every walk you took can be retained and remembered.

"So, Ophelia yeah?" He asks. Mark and I haven't really talked since Ophey and I got together.

"What about her?" I ask. He laughs.

"You act like a married couple you know." He says, laughing.

I turn to him. "What?" I ask.

He smiles. "It's a good thing. She's always trying to take care of you and you with her. But it's more intense than just a relationship. It's a connection, I can see it. You talk without sound. I've seen you smiling at each other as though you're having a conversation and you probably are. Every time she moves, your head snaps up to make sure she's okay and you're happier when she's around." He replies.

Thinking over everything, this is probably true. It's just second nature. I'm pulled out of my reverie by the door opening, I turn to see Jayden walking in. His cheeks are sallow and grey. His eyes seem empty. "Mark, Noah." He nods to both of us. He sits down across from us. It didn't matter how ill he looked, I didn't want to be near him. I didn't feel any sympathy for him, he deserves it for what he did to Ophey. I meet Jayden's empty gaze with a hard glare before leaving. I check my watch. It's late evening. Ophey will still be on watch. I make my way over to the tower.

Ophelia's P.O.V.

Today's watch wasn't that bad, Noah came to see me just as i started. He seemed unsettled at first, but by the time my watch was over he was laughing as normal.

We get back to our bedroom and I'm exhausted even though it's only ten at night. I leave to brush my teeth and return within five minutes. I undress quickly and slide into bed next to Noah. He wraps his warm arms around me and I'm immediately comfortable. Within minutes, I fall asleep.

I wake to silence, I know already that it's probably the early hours of the morning, the sun was still below the horizon and the only source of light is from the moon. Noah's body is entangled with mine as it always is, his slow breaths in my ear confirm he's still fast asleep. The short sleep I had was definitely very deep, I'm overpowered by thirst. I crawl out of bed slowly, drinking in the cool air, Noah was always hot, his skin was burning hot all the time, and while it usually was comforting, sometimes it made me feel ill. 

I straighten up and decide it is definetly smarter to pull on some clothes, people may be switching watches, or someone may be up. I didn't need to be caught half-naked drinking form the tap, that would be a sight. 

The floor is cold against my bare feet and I regret not wearing shoes. The kitchens aren't far away, down the stairs and to the left. They're actually directly underneath the bedrooms. I enter the kitchen and pour myself a cup of water. I down two cups and lean against the counter, panting hard. Satisfied, I pour another one to take upstairs with me. As I enter the corridor, I hear footsteps to my left. Wary, I swing around to face whatever was coming, and a body jump into a  nearby doorway. It couldn't be a Roamer, it would come straight for me, and they don't move that fast. 

Calming myself, I walk to my right and through the doors before spinning around and watching through the top part of the door that is made from glass. They are almost running towards me, as quiet as possible, light on their toes. For some reason, they were trying desperately to avoid me.

As they approach, I jump into the girls toilets and keep it slightly open. It's a guy. He's too tall to be Stella and walks very masculine. He goes down the few steps and turns left. I wait for the familiar sound of the metal door being pushed open and then I shoot out and run after him as carefully and quietly as i can. Something just didn't feel right. Why would they hide from me? And who was running around at this time of night? Except me, of course.