Thirty Seven

I'm careful at first. The factory could have been fully operational when the breakout hit. Meaning, there could be hundred maybe even thousands of Roamers inside. I do a perimeter check and there isn't one in sight. There's a large metal fence that lines the entire building. I assume this does a pretty good job at keeping intruders out.

There's several entrances and I put my ear up against the wall to listen for any tell tale signs of a mass infestation. I sit there for several seconds listening for any threats, but when the only thing I hear is birds chirping, I decide to go in. I'm still cautious. One mistake could cost everything. I have my gun in my pocket and my knife raised. I don't want to attract every Roamer within a miles range.

I edge the door open and see nothing. The factory is surprisingly clean and bright. There a giant windows on the top floor and the roof that cause light to flood in. And, all the counters are absent of any equipment or product. There was no one here when it started. I check every room and corridor I can find, but eventually I can confidently say there's nothing in there. It's nearly five in the evening.

I take what would have most likely been the boss' office. It's large and more comfortable than the other rooms. It has several large windows that look out onto both the factory and the woods. There's a sofa that isn't too small and is out of sight of both windows. The door has no lock so I push the desk up against it. There's a door that leads to a railed walkway outside, but the walkway has a metre gap at one point. Only a human could get through. And as scary and as dangerous they could be, I decide not to block that door off just in case an emergency exit is needed.

I pull the blankets out of the bag and some food and water. The sun droops lower and lower and night begins to set in. Kay and I have a quick dinner before setting up a bed on the sofa. I stay curled up on one end and she takes up the space by my feet. I've slept upright for so long, this comes as comfort. I pack everything back into the bags except for the blankets just in case and try to sleep.

The next morning a grey light is cast over the room, it looks as though it's about to rain. I leave Kay and go explore the rooms for anything useful. Sure enough, less than ten minutes later I hear the patter of rain on the roof. It progressively gets harder and harder, thunder and lightning can be heard at several points. I hear Kay whining but I know she's safe. The deep rumbles from above were unnerving here, I didn't enjoy them anymore. I had become sensitive to sound and the huge noises made me anxious, it also blocked one of my most useful senses. I take a risk and wander downstairs to the factory floor, it was clean and chilly. From here, it was as if the entire human race had been wiped clean from the planet. Leaving only their vices behind. I wonder whether that may have been better. 

The place was void of anything useful, surfaces were bare and shelves were empty. Nothing had been left behind. The main factory floor is separated from the rest of the building by a huge doorway that has a huge plastic sheet draped over to create a divide. There is little on the other side except empty shelves. I pause to look at the divider, considering its weight and durability before an idea begins to form in my mind. 

It takes me a while to detach the sheet from its place at the top of the doorway, which is nearly ten feet in the air, but I eventually find a myriad of furniture to pile on one another to raise me. By the end, I stare at the plastic in triumph before chuckling to myself sarcastically. How this world has changed.

Kay's nerves begin to get the best of her as the day wears on. Through the clouds I notice the sun almost directly overhead and realise it is getting late in the day. I sit by Kay and pat her gently, trying to calm her, but she refuses to. The storm does not wane, every crack of thunder feels closer and louder every time and the rain does not let up for a second. 

I decide to stay another night, these weather conditions would make everything much more difficult and certain. Sight and hearing were compromised, we would be cold, slow and very wet. And I had no idea where the next building would be, I had no idea if I was close to any civilisation at all. All we could do was wait, get as much sleep as we could and leave at the best opportunity.

The rain continues through the night, slapping loudly against the metal roof. I get little sleep and spend my time dozing in and out of consciousness, trying desperately to keep thoughts I didn't want in my head away. I distract myself with Kay, her fur is raised and she doesn't come to bed during the night. Instead, choosing to stand by the nearest window, looking out for danger.

The next morning Kay and I leave as soon as possible. Packing up our things swiftly, and hurrying out the door before anyone around might spot us. The sky was still grey above us but it was early morning, the sun would hopefully make an appearance. I carry the plastic sheet over my shoulder, cut to the correct size now, small enough for me to carry but definitely weighing me down. Our progress is slow. The forest is muddy and wet and my shoes are soaked through in an instant, and Kay shivers beside me.  For a while we walk along completely silently and peacefully, when suddenly Kay poises for attack and then bounds off. I stay quiet and run after her. I hear a struggle and find Kay fighting a Roamer. 

She growls in a low tone and locks her jaw around its ankle, gnawing at it in warning. The Roamer barely bats and eyelid and claws at Kay, reaching for her neck, grabbing her. Kay refuses to back down and snarls in the Roamer's face. I approach as Kay fights back. And finally, as the Roamer attempts to sink its teeth into Kay's shoulder, I jump forward and plunge my knife into its temple. 

I look at the Roamer and then at Kay and give an involuntary sigh as only one thought enters my mind. I am so tired. I was completely drained. All the fear, the anticipation, listening, preparing for danger, dealing with danger, it was all becoming just a little too much. And being faced with the thought that I may have to deal with that alone, without Kay, my mood shifts. 

I was tried of travelling and moving and looking desperately for places to sleep before having to move  on again. I decide that I would set up camp permanently as soon as I found a reliable area. Though, that was difficult nowadays. There had to be ways of attaining food, water, safety. I had to be able to fortify and keep away from survivors. It could be months before we found a place like that, but at least I had a goal, somewhere to go. 

Now, permanence was never guaranteed but still attainable if only you are smart and careful.

Kay and I continue to wade through the mud, wading off Roamers as we go. My mind becomes restless as I become bored and worried. Kay seems to reflect my mood and whines and strays off further and further away when given the chance. The sun would begin to set in a few hours and we'd be all alone in the dark. 

I wanted to find somewhere to sleep before then. 

From my right, I spot something different from our surroundings and approach it slowly before realising it is a tarmac road. Kay comes to attention and watches me closely as I assess the road. There were no discernible buildings or shapes at either end, there was only one abandoned car on the road, which tells me we are not in a populated area. There could be nothing for miles. 

We walk anyhow, keeping in the treeline, wary of passing cars with survivors, or even possible herds. Finally, like a miracle from God Himself, a sign materialises ahead of us nearly half an hour later, it read: 'Cedar Springs - Two miles.' I smile and hurry Kay along. The sun would begin to set soon and I wanted to be there before dark. If we hurried it would be a fifteen minute walk. In my head, I will the town to be empty, of humans and monsters. I will for it to be safe.

It takes another twenty minutes to get to the outskirts of town. It looks deserted. There aren't any Roamers wandering around, which should be a good sign. The sun is beginning to set and I need to secure a safe place to sleep before night. In the end, I choose a house on the outer part of the turn. It's late and I don't want to push my luck and find a group of Roamers in the town centre. And it would be easier to leave if we found trouble.

I lock the front and back door and luckily all the windows are already boarded up. We go upstairs and sleep there. I plan to travel further into the town tomorrow. We need food, and I don't want to hunt around here.