Twenty Two

I eat my food and try to ignore what my have happened to the driver when they left it so long ago. I search around for anything useful. I move as quietly as possible, rummaging through all the compartments. In the end, all I find is a torch and pack of candies.

I make sure there are no walkers to be attracted by the sound of the engine before I start. The only one I spot is far in the distance, alone. I suck on a boiled sweet as I attempt to start the engine, I try several times but just when I think it's going to start the engine gives in and dies. It's not surprising, it hasn't been used in months and that can easily cause an engine to stop working. Just sitting there kills it.

Defeated, I give in and sit back trying to relax. I try to sleep but all I can think of is Noah and the letter I left for him, telling him I would be back in the evening latest. He's probably worried sick. What if he comes looking for me? He'll get lost or killed.

With the image of Noah's death  playing in my head i decide to try to engine one more time. I will the engine to work. And on the second try it spurts to life. I sit back completely ecstatic as I realise I'm no longer stranded.

Laurence's P.O.V.

Laurence,

I'm fine. I want to take my mind off of everything for a few hours. I've gone to explore and hunt. Don't worry about me, I'll be extra careful. I've taken a gun and a knife just in case. I'll be back by sundown.

Ophey

When I first read the letter, it came as a relief. She was doing something healthy, fun even. That was how I felt this morning. But, as the hours stretched and I realised just how dangerous it is out there, I began to worry. What if she's dead? Or hurt? What if she needs my help? Deep down I feel like she's safe but a constant worry keeps creeping back.

As the sun begins to set, I realise she may never come back. She's been gone for nine hours or more. No real protection. I tell everyone I'm going to look for her and Mark and Alex volunteers to help too. Alex takes a separate car, staying closer to the school. And Mark and I plan to go further out, only a few miles or so. She can't have gone too far.

We all agree to meet back at the school by early evening or earlier. That gives us just under an hour and a half to drive around looking for her. We go past all her houses first, slowing down by each one to allow her to show herself. I imagine it in my head. We'd share a tight hug and go home safely. But at each one the doorways remain empty.

We go further out, about three miles at first going in a full circle around the school. Then four, then five miles. In the end, I just end up frantically weaving through streets looking for any signs of life. As time progresses, we start heading home. I can't contain my worry. I want to scream her name and drive everywhere looking for her. I want to find her.

We return to the school and Alex's hopeful look tells me he didn't find her. He catches sight of my expression and immediately puts his head in his hands. "It'll be fine. She'll be fine." I say with false hope in my voice. Mark and Alex trudge inside to tell everybody of Ophelia's absence. Without thinking I jump into the car and drive through the gates again, I don't plan to stop driving until I find her.

Ophelia's P.O.V.

I lower my foot to the accelerator gently. Then with more force. Soon the excitement gets to me and I end up going nearly fifty miles per hour. I adjust my eyes to the dark and begin conveying my surroundings. I soon realise that lone walker has turned into many. I screech to a stop less than thirty feet away from them.

I'm desperately trying to spin around and get out of there. I'm too slow. They envelope the vehicle, banging on all sides. I slam my foot on the accelerator but it does nothing. I force the pedal down again and again but the car doesn't move. There's no traction. Panic begins to set in as I realise I've made one of the stupidest mistakes ever, and it was a mistake that may cost me my life now.

I carry on trying to move, then I decide to reverse. I slam my foot down and the car jolts backwards. There's a moment of pause but I add pressure to the pedal again and I keep reversing. I then try the accelerator one last time. And it works. I screech forward, knocking several walkers flat. I speed forward as blood takes up the majority of my windshield.

I should slow down but the panic doesn't let me, reaching the end of the long road and skidding around a U- turn. The windshield wipers start getting rid of the blood and I start to regain my sight, speeding down the road as fast as I can. I have no idea what direction I'm going in and I don't care, I need to get away from the danger.

I begin to regain my bearings and pay attention to where I am. I'm about twenty miles away by now. And it's dark now, evening. Driving while also trying to figure out where I'm going may take ages. I wouldn't be back for at least an hour, a whole other hour for Noah to panic. I start making my way home slowly. Then I recognise a long road. I know where it ends and how to get to school from there. Excitement and relief pulsing through me again I increase my speed once more.

I drive along when suddenly there's movement in front of me. I assume it's a walker and get ready to hit it. I strain my eyes as I make sure it really is a walker. I then realise they're running. Walkers don't run. I slam my brakes on but halfway through feel the familiar bump of a body hitting the car. I squeeze my eyes shut.