Seven

Noah grilled me for longer than I could even imagine, asking, begging for an answer, an explanation. And so I gave in, I confided in him what I had never had the guts to tell him, every detail, every story. Everything. 

I had many struggles growing up, my childhood was plagued with issues that I never really bothered to share, I never needed people to know. I didn't need the sympathy or any different treatment, I was alright as I was.

It often seemed as if everybody had it worse. That I had a great life. I never told my friends what happened. It wasn't until Noah and I grew close that the words ever left my mouth. He was supportive. Comforting. But it just wasn't what I wanted. I wanted him to imply it wasn't that bad if not say it straight to my face.

Instead, he sat there speechless for a few seconds and then hugged me. Not an awkward hug. We held on to each other for ages. And if I'm honest I was almost scared to let go. It was like he was holding all the pieces together. I hadn't even known I was broken.

Telling Noah was the worst thing I ever did. He didn't tell our entire year and embarrass me completely. Quite the opposite. Afterwards, when we weren't talking I could feel his sympathetic stare constantly following me. And I nearly lost it for a while. Everyday I'd cry and cry over nothing. I just wanted to cry. At first I felt good about it. I had let it out. Told somebody. Within a week, it haunted me. I was the scarred, broken girl. And every time I looked at him i could see it deep in his eyes. And it reminded me of everything wrong with my life. Everyday.

Later in the night, after everybody has gone to bed, I sit in my room, drinking in the silence. It was the early hours of the morning by now, the sun would begin to rise within the hour. The darkness comforted me, allowed me to feel hidden and safe. 

My thoughts bothered me and refused me sleep, so I sit on the sofa I had pulled from the staff room the day before. It was old and sunken but it was better than the cold, hard floor. I think of Jayden, what he thought of me, I think of his bloodied face. 

I think of the chaos that must go on outside of these walls, of the few survivors that may be out there, running from death, watching their loved ones die. For once, I thank God that so much of my family was allowed to die with dignity, before all of this. It also meant I didn't have to wonder about where or what they were. 

Some time passes and my thoughts do not leave me, my worries gnaw at me and fill my head with horrible scenarios. The idea of Noah dying plagues me, the idea of feeling alone with no reprieve and nowhere safe to go terrifies me.

A small click and a creak pull me from my reverie, I forgot to lock the door. I freeze, terrified, my eyes trained on the doorway. It was still pitch black and I strain my eyes to see who is entering. I get ready to run or scream. 

"Ophey.." Noah hisses into the room. 

I squeak at the noise but relax almost immediately, allowing my head to fall back against the sofa. 

"I'm over here, what's wrong?" I ask. 

"I just wanted to see if you were alright.  I couldn't sleep," 

"How considerate of you," I reply, with only a hint of sarcasm. 

He creeps towards me as quietly as he can, which isn't particularly quiet at all, knocking several desks before sitting next to me. His sits close, and his bare leg touches my own, he hisses as my cold skin comes in contact with his.

"You're freezing, are you okay?"

"To tell the truth, I didn't even realise until now," I chuckle. 

I see him shake his head and smile in the moonlight before wrapping his arms around me and enveloping in his warmth. I sigh and lean into him, I had been very cold, he was like a heat pack, the heat reverberating from his skin.