Chapter 3

I was shaking with nerves, the royal family was spotted a few hours outside of Winterfell, meaning that they would be here before nightfall. One of the stable hands had given me a torn brown hooded cloak to wear while the royal family was there. I was wearing it currently, just in case they showed up earlier than planned. 

"Are you excited to see what the prince looks like?" Sansa asked for what must have been the millionth time in 2 days. I was in her room, brushing and braiding her hair for the prince's impending arrival. 

"I suppose" I mumble, continuing to focus on her braid. Ned was supposed to tell the others that I would be staying in the stables to make room for the guests and that I wasn't to be bothered. Sansa, however, was adamant about having a beautiful braid like mine for when the prince arrived and took me from my hiding spot in the stables to her chambers. I couldn't bring myself to snap at her or deny her this simple request, she was like a sister to me after all. 

"Come on, he's a prince! If we got married I'd be a princess! And I'd become queen" Sansa squealed in delight. I couldn't help but smile at her innocence, her ignorance of the world. I was glad to know she wasn't ambitious, at least not yet. 

"You'd make a wonderful queen," I say with a smile, giving in to her hopes. 

"You really think so?" She asks, a grin creeping up to her lips. 

"Of course! You're sweet, fair and kind. You'd rule justly. The seven kingdoms would be lucky to have you as their queen" I tell her with a smile of encouragement. 

"I think you'd make a good queen too, you put everyone else first, that's an important thing to have," Sansa says, turning to look up at me with her sweet smile. I lean down and give her a quick hug, making her laugh. 

"Alright now hold still, I'm almost done," I tell her, reaching back for her hair as she turns back around. As I finish braiding her hair she goes on to tell me what she thinks life in King's Landing would be like and how she wants to go see it, I tell her I'm sure she will someday. 

"Alright, I'm going to go down to the stables and check on Winter," I tell Sansa as I pull on my hood and move toward the door. 

"Will I see you at the feast?" She asks hopefully. 

"Sadly I don't think so," I tell her with a sad smile. Her smile fades a bit and she nods. 

"But I'll come by later tonight, and you can tell me all about Prince Joffery," I tell her with a playful wink, making her giggle and grin as I leave. 

I quickly walk over to the stables, feeling paranoid as I did so. It felt like someone was watching my every move, tracking me almost. I walked into the stables with my head down, trying to force myself to relax. 

"What are you doing here?!" 

I quickly look up and see the older boys getting groomed by one of the guards. All three of them were shirtless, bits and chunks of their hair littering the stable grounds. Theon was currently sitting on the stool getting shaved, while Jon and Robb just stared at me curiously. I had to will myself to not let my eyes wander down, to their chests. 

"I-I...I was looking for Winter" I say nervously gesturing to the two wolves playing with one another on the stable grounds, Grey Wind only watched them, uninterested. 

"Doesn't explain why you're lurking about, in a dress and ratty hood no less?" Robb said crossing his arms in front of him. 

"Why does it matter that I'm wearing a dress?" I ask, crossing my own arms in front of me, trying to redirect the conversation.