Chapter 4

Although he would never admit it, Jon was terrified. After Emylea collapsed into his arms he quickly got them both dressed before carrying her to maester Luwin. The feast was well underway so he had to send little Rickon inside to get the maester and tell his father what was happening. 

The maester instructed Jon to carry her to her chambers and get a fire started while he grabbed his supplies. Jon quickly did as he was told, carrying her up to her chambers and tucking her cold form into bed while he got a fire started. He stayed by her side while the maester examined her and held his breath once he finished. 

"Well? Is she gonna be alright?" Jon asked, unable to mask the concern from his voice. 

"We can only hope for the best" maester Luwin said with a sigh. 

"So what's wrong with her?" Jon asked, trying to calm his racing heart. 

"A mild case of hypothermia. Her body is no longer capable of withstanding this northern cold. When she regains her strength, she will need to ride south, where it's warmer" the maester explained getting up from the stool by her bedside. 

Jon still wasn't able to process the words he heard once the maester had left. How could this be? She's lived in the north all her life, shouldn't her body be used to the cold by now? But then Jon remembered who she was. She was a Targaryen princess, she was a dragon, she was fire and fire couldn't survive in the winter, not for long. 

Both of the wolves were in her chamber with him. Winter was on her bed, her head facing the sleeping girl. Winter was whimpering, she seemed almost pained at seeing Emylea in such a state. Jon felt the same. Ghost laid at his feet as if trying to comfort Jon in his distressed state. But Jon only sat there and watched Emylea's chest move up and down. Even in her sickened state, she was still so beautiful. Her snow-kissed hair and pale skin. 

Although her eyes were closed he could still picture those beautiful dark purple eyes of hers. How they would light up whenever she smiled. He could see her smile and still taste her lips on his. How had Jon fallen for her so suddenly, so fast? And now she was going to have to leave. Lord Stark came during the night to ask about her condition. Jon told him what the maester told him and Lord Stark could only sigh at his words. 

"I'll need to talk to Robert and make traveling arrangements, hopefully, he'll be feeling merciful enough to let her come with me and the girls to King's Landing" Lord Stark mumbled trying to figure out how he would convince his oldest friend to allow a Targaryen under his roof. 

"So you'll take her with you then? She'll ride south?" Jon asked, unable to keep the sadness out of his voice. 

Eddrd looked at Jon and could see the love he felt for the girl. He could see it in his eyes and he was sure that Emylea felt the same about him. He knew that this would break both their hearts, but it had to be done. For Jon's sake as well as hers.

"Yes, once her strength has returned, she will ride south for King's Landing," Lord Stark said with a sigh as he turned to leave. Jon could feel something clawing at his heart at his father's words. Emylea would ride South, and Jon would ride North, to the wall. He had already spoken to his Uncle Benjen about it at the feast and it sounded like he would be able to go if he so desired. He was considering it, trying to justify the decision by telling himself that Emylea deserved more than he could give her. 

If he was a true Stark, wasn't a bastard even, it would be better. She was a princess, she deserved jewels and silk gowns, things he couldn't give her. He wanted to give her the world, but in order to do that, he would have to let her go. And the only way to do that was to leave. He knew that she wouldn't ride south, not when he would still be here in Winterfell.