Chapter 19

Jon's lungs were on fire. His eyes shot open with a gasp. His limbs felt heavy and it took him a moment to get himself functioning properly. Slowly he sat up, his back sore from laying on the table...table? Wasn't Jon in his bed? Wasn't it all just a bad dream? He looked down and saw the scars on his body, along with a necklace. The dire wolf pendant he had made all those years ago. But how did it end up here? 

Jon picked it up and looked it over, he moved to fiddle with his ring as he thought about all of this, but it was gone. No doubt one of his men took it from him after they...Jon cringed at the memory. It was then that the door opened, to revel Ser Davos and Melisandre, the red woman. 

"You're alive," Davos says with wide eyes, him and the woman walking over to Jon. 

"It seems so" Jon replies, glancing at the necklace and scars. 

"Your woman will be pleased to hear it," Davos tells him with a smile. Jon only looks at him with confusion in his eyes. 

"My woman?" he asked, not quite sure what Davos could mean. 

"The silver-haired woman with purple eyes" Davos explains. It takes Jon a second to realize who he's referring to. 

"That's impossible, she's dead," Jon says quickly, brushing off the idea before it can even fully form. 

"No, she's quite alive, unless we all saw the same ghost. Which she was a bit of a ghost after having seen you. You would have thought she died with you" Davos rambles, reflecting on his encounter with the strange woman. 

"She was here? For how long? When did she leave?" Jon asks, immediately looking around the room for things he might need on his journey. 

"Days ago, and no one is really sure how she got here or how she left. They saw no horse and she wasn't wearing shoes. Her only traveling companion was the dire wolf" Davos says gesturing towards the other white wolf in the room. 

Jon looked to the other side of the room and sure enough, saw Winter and Ghost sitting on the floor intertwined with one another. 

"She took your ring with her, the one that matches her own, when she left" Davos continues as Jon grips the pendant around his neck. 

"It was her who brought you back," Melisandre says, stepping towards Jon with amazement in her eyes. 

"What do you mean she brought me back?" 

"I used her hair and yours, along with your blood mixed together. Your bond is undeniable and I believe the Lord of Light saw that and brought you back to her" she says with absolute certainty in her voice. 

"Well whatever it is, you're back now," Davos says with an attempt at a hopeful smile, placing a reaffirming hand on Jon's shoulder. 

"Could anyone tell which direction she was heading in?" Jon asked, glancing over at the wolves. Would he have the same reunion with Rhaella as the wolves had with one another? 

"Are you thinking about going after her?" Davos asked with a worried smile. 

"Can we have this discussion after I get dressed?" Jon asked, feeling the anger start to rise in his chest. 

"Of course" Davos replied, him and the red woman exiting his chambers. It was only Jon and the wolves. That's when it hit him most. She was here, she was here and she slipped right through his fingertips. It made him angry to think about.

That anger stayed with Jon as he dressed, and went out to arrest the men who had done this to him. Later in the day, they were all lined up with ropes around their necks, waiting for Jon to deliver the sentence.