Chapter 18

She felt dryness in her throat. A burning thirst that needed to be quenched. She tried to open her eyes but it was just too bright. Her eyelids felt like they weigh tons. But she persisted. She squinted her eyes open, trying to break into the light.

Once her eyes got accustomed, she saw herself in a white room with a white ceiling. To her right was a monitor with a beeping sound. Something was attached to her left hand. A tube. To her left, she saw a sleeping man, holding her right hand.

"Anton..." she barely gasped. Her throat was so dry she could barely speak. Her hand reached out to him to touch his face.

He stirred and slowly opened his eyes to meet hers. She saw those pair of the blackest orbs she's ever seen again. And when he was fully awake, he stood up immediately. "Alyssa!" And he moved to her head side and kissed her. "Baby, you're awake."

"Wa... Water..." she requested.

He was quick to move and get her water to drink. Then he helped her sit up and put the glass near her lips. She drank slowly.

"T-thanks."

He removed the water from her lips and sat beside her on the bed. "Are you feeling better, baby?"

She looked at him, feeling nothing at all. Everything felt so unreal now. She, then, remembered the kidnapping incident and the things she discovered which this man has been hiding from her for a long time now. Was that all a bad dream?? A nightmare, perhaps?

"Hey, Alyssa, are you okay?"

She remained silent, only looking at him, the man she cannot trust. Hindi niya alam kung bakit parang nawalan siya ng emosyon o kahit anong pakiramdam ngayon. She felt so battered na wala na siyang maramdaman pa.

"I'll call the doctor." He looked so worried now. And in a few seconds, a man in his fifties in a white coat entered her room and smiled warmly to her.

"Gising na ang pinakamaganda kong pasyente."

"Is she okay? She's... quiet," puna ni Anton na halatang nag-aalala.

The doctor did a quick check on her vital signs and the machine beside her. Then he turned to Anton. "She's still in shock." At bumaling sa kanya ang doctor. "Hi, Alyssa. I'm Doctor Pascual. I am your physician. Do you remember where you were the last time you were awake?"

She nodded. "Y-yes."

"Do you know where you are now?"

She nodded again.

"Good girl. Now, I'll have food delivered here so you can eat. I'm sure you are hungry. Anton, can we talk outside?" tanong ng doctor.

Tumango siya at sumunod sa doctor palabas ng kwarto ni Alyssa.

"She's in trauma because of what happened this early morning," the doctor declared. "Just as I suspected. I'll be referring you to a psychologist that can help. It's a good sign that she woke up already. Results of her physical exam will come in a few minutes. You can take her out by tomorrow. But please visit the psychologist as soon as you can."

"Thank you, Doc." And the old man left.

He went back inside to check on her.

She was busy staring out the window.

"Alyssa, babe." He moved to sit beside her on the bed. "How are you feeling?"

She just looked at him, and more like looking through him. Iyon bang parang wala siyang nakikita kahit nasa harapan niya ito. Is this the effect of betrayal? And shock altogether?