Chapter 17

Madaling araw pa lang pero ginising na si Alyssa ni Jeremy. She was blindfolded and then, shoved into the back of a black sedan. Siguradong imi-meet na nila ngayon si Anton.

Last night, she wasn't able to sleep. She was thinking about her life and how she has squandered off and partied endlessly, without her knowing that her family sold her off to a rich man. And her future husband, this man, bought her with a price. Just like an object.

She felt so worthless because of all the things she has discovered. Which is why right now, she just wanted to die. Her parents lied to her. Anton has been lying to her all this time.

Good riddance!!

The ride felt like hours. Once they reached their destination, narinig niyang nagbubulungan sina Jeremy at Alejandro. Then, a pair of arms grabbed her from the back of the car and pushed her to walk. She was walking in a straight line. Ten steps to be exact and she was tied to a pole.

"Ang tagal niya. Ang usapan ay alas kwatro ng umaga," si Alejandro. Nadidinig niya ang yabag nito as he was pacing back and forth.

"Don't worry, Pa. Hindi niya hahayaang basta na lang mamatay si Alyssa. He'll be here soon enough."

She flinched at that reference to her. Hindi niya alam kung ano bang dapat maramdaman ngayon. She knew she's nearing her death. But she doesn't care anymore.

Just then, she heard the engine of an incoming car.

"Hayan na pala," announce ni Jeremy. Narinig niya ang yabag ng mga ito palapit sa kotseng narinig niyang nag-park malapit sa kinaroroonan nila.

"Are you alone, Anton?" Alejandro asked, shouting a bit. Halatang malayo pa ang kausap.

She heard additional footsteps. Anton's footsteps. "As promised." There he was. She could hear his voice again. It was confident but, at the same time, worried. "Dala ko na ang pera. At ang katunayan na ibinibigay ko na sa gobyerno ang Hacienda Olivares. Now, you can release her."

She heard the a loud thud and, then, the sound of a luggage being opened.

"That's one hundred million, Jeremy. Now, give me back Alyssa."

That was when she felt a cold, metal tube pressed on her forehead. "Sa tingin mo ganoong kadali na lang 'yon, Anton? Get the money, Jeremy."

"No!" sigaw ni Anton. "You said you'll give her back once I give you the money, Alejandro."

"Papatayin ko siya dahil anak siya ni Geronimo." At nakakalokong tumawa si Alejandro. "Anak siya ng taong umagaw sa akin ng lahat-lahat. Binalaan ko na si Geronimo na papatayin ko ang anak niya. I'll just be fulfilling my warning to him. Sayang nga lang at wala siya dito para masaksihan 'yon. But be my witness, Anton. Tutal, ikaw naman ang kanang kamay ni Geronimo."

"Alejandro, do you need more money?" Anton shouted. "Just tell me! I can give you even more than that."

"No, gusto kong makitang mamatay ang anak ni Geronimo!"

Ikinasa na ni Alejandro ang baril. So the cold tube she felt was a gun. She readied herself for her end. She closed her eyes shut and readied herself for the pain. Her heart was beating so fast but she just didn't care anymore.

"No, Alejandro! She's your daughter!" Anton screamed.

A deafening silence followed. And it felt like her heart stopped beating, too, because of what she heard.

She felt a ringing in her ears. Alyssa thought she had the worst day of her life yesterday. Looks like the world is making a way to give her something worse today.

"Anong ibig mong sabihin?" Alejandro asked, menacingly.

"Pa, he's just playing with us," Jeremy intervened. "Patayin mo na si Alyssa."

"Hindi siya totoong anak nina Geronimo at Andrea. Babe, please tell them I'm telling the truth," Anton begged of her. But she remained silent. She doesn't know what to make of the situation. Namanhid na siya sa lahat ng nalaman niya kagabi na hindi niya alam kung may dapat pa siyang maramdaman ngayon. At kung dapat pa niyang pakinggan ang mga pakiusap ng lalaking nanloko sa kanya.

"She's their adopted daughter. Anak siya ni Sarah, ang kapatid ni Andrea. You... you know Sarah, right?" Anton asked.

Jeremy gasped. So did Alyssa.

"Anong kalokohan 'to Anton?" sigaw ni Alejandro and removed the cold gun on Alyssa's forehead. "Alam mo, Anton, I was actually planning on sparing your life. But now, I'm thinking of killing you, too, because of your lies."

"Alejandro, she's your daughter. We both know kung anong namagitan sa inyo ni Sarah. Look at her! She is the spitting image of her mother!" sigaw ni Anton. "Kung ayaw mong maniwala, then, you will be killing your own daughter."

In just an instant, she heard a gunshot. "No!" she screamed. Anton can't be dead. "No... Anton? Anton! Anton!" she shouted and called out for him.

"Itaas ang kamay!" sigaw ng isang hindi pamilyar na boses. Then, she heard footsteps of several men. "Huwag kayong gagalaw!" banta ng mga ito.

At naramdaman niyang may biglang yumakap sa kanya. Her blindfold was removed and she saw Anton in front of her. "Anton..."

"Babe, you're safe. You're safe now." He kissed her on the lips, then, on the forehead. Then, his hands roamed all over her. "Ayos ka lang ba? May masakit ba? Sinaktan ka ba nila?"

She looked around and saw Alejandro's body on the ground with a gun wound on hid left leg. Pinoposasan naman ngayon si Jeremy ng mga lalaki. There were approximately 30 soldiers and 10 policemen around them now, all heavily armed.

"Baby, look at me..." Anton said, while cupping her cheeks to bring her eyes back to him. "Look at me. Are you okay? Sinaktan ka ba nila? Answer me..."

Umiling siya. "No..." She was still in a trance. Everything that happened for the past hours felt like a dream. Even this man in front of her felt like a dream.

He hugged her again. "Thank God. I thought I lost you, baby. I love you... I love you so much, Alyssa. I can't bear to lose you, baby."

Nothing was sinking in her muddy brain anymore. Not the confessions of Anton. Nothing. And just like that, she lost consciousness.

"Alyssa!" she heard Anton scream.

***

This is a bit of a heavy chapter to make. I hope I gave justice to the truth behind Alyssa's real identity. :) She's still an Olivares, but an illegitimate one. So uncle niya si Geronimo. But still, I think the fact that the people we trusted lied to us is enough reason for us to be hurt.

Mas masakit kapag ang nanloko satin ay ang mga taong pinahahalagahan natin ng sobra.
#HugotNights
#Char

VOTE and COMMENT!