Chapter 13

Their first  night together in his house was eerily quiet. Alyssa entered the walk in closet where her packed clothes were. She cleaned up and changed into her pajamas. Then, she went out and snuggled on the bed and its thick comforter. Nagsho-shower pa si Anton.

She wanted to sleep already para hindi na niya kailangan pang kausapin ito. So she shut her eyes and faced the other side of the room, away from the bathroom door.

After ten minutes, she was still wide awake. Her mind and heart were still bruised. She knows she's at his mercy. Pero hindi siya makapaniwalang ipapamukha ito ng binata sa kanya. And worse, sa harap pa ng kaibigan niya. Napahiya talaga siya.  And she thought about her parents again. How could they just hand her off to a heartless man like Anton? Sure, the Hacienda has long been under the Olivares family but even if she's not an Olivares by blood, couldn't she have been more worthy to own it than someone else?

She just hated the idea of her entire life hanging on a thread, a thread that can be cut by Anton himself if he chooses to.

Nagbukas ang bathroom door at alam niyang tapos ng maligo si Anton. She pretended to be asleep. The bed dipped a bit when Anton sat on the other side.

"I'm sorry, Alyssa. I didn't mean to say those things...," he said. His voice was extra gentle this time.

She felt him inch a bit closer to her and, then, his arms snaked around her waist. Hindi naman niya magawang itulak ito dahil nagpapanggap nga siyang tulog na. Ayaw na niyang makausap ito ngayong gabi. And it's a good thing, he also dosed off to sleep right after hugging her.

And now, she's left alone with her thoughts. Is marrying Anton really her only option? Is it just really marry Anton or say goodbye to your life of luxury? What if magtrabaho na lang kaya siya at subukang sustentuhan ang sarili? But this would mean giving up the hacienda, her youth, her memories, her identity and her parents' heritage.

No, she forced her eyes shut. Hindi niya kaya. She might die of hunger. Wala rin siyang titirahan. But now that her parents are dead and after realizing that she's not really an Olivares, she not just lost her home and identity, she lost control of her life. She cried herself to sleep that night, knowing that this realization will linger in her head for quite some time.

***

She woke up to a heavy arm around her waist and a head busy kissing her neck. She opened her eyes and met the blackest eyes she's ever seen.

He smiled at her. "Good morning, babe," he greeted in that husky, sleepy voice of his.

She was still mad at him for what he did yesterday but the intensity now is less compared to how it was yesterday.

He kissed her right cheek this time. "You wanna have breakfast?"

She pushed him away and tried to sit up. "Go to work," she coldly said.

"I filed a sick leave today," he said while pulling her back down to the bed.

"Liar, you're not sick. Not even close. And get off!" She was pulling back her arm that he was tugging.

"I am sick. My heart is sick. Only you can heal it, babe," he said jokingly.

She turned to face him. "I am not in the mood, Alissandro," she replied seriously.

"What'd you call me?"

She tried to sit up but he pulled her entire body back to the bed and pinned her there. He was now above her completely trapping her under him.

"What'd you just call me?" He was smiling like a little boy.

"None of your business, asshole." She pushed his chest to no avail. "Get off!"