MIML : SC - Breakeven

By the way, this story can stand on its own. Di mo na kakailanganing basahin ang buong kuwento para maintindihan ito.

--

THOMAS:

Now this is really going well for us. Nag-away lang naman kami. She was complaining on how much forgetful I was in making time for her.

Why can't she be understanding? Hindi ba n'ya alam na mahirap ang maging student athlete? Siguro alam naman n'ya siguro yung pakiramdaman na ganun, hindi ba?

She was a student athlete, for fuck's sake. And also a Team Captain at that.

Siguro nga nakalimutan na n'ya kung ano ang feeling ng isang student athlete na pilit ipinagkakasya ang time para sa iba't ibang bagay. She just graduated e.

Why? Bakit, Ara?

Napadpad ako sa isang bar. We were in a state of war so I left her to let the steam off. Gusto kong mapag-isa. I started hating the way she demands for time and the fact that she makes me choose against her or my career.

Why is it like that ba kasi? There are so many things to do but less time to do it.

She said that I am losing time with her because I was busy with Basketball. Well, it's true, somehow. But sometimes, it's better to play basketball rather than spend time with her.

Basketball never demands for time, unlike her.

Tsaka I never complained naman when she was busy with Volleyball ah? Kahit na pa miss na miss ko na s'ya e. It was unfair for her to make me choose between her and my career.

So I was drinking scotch and brandy when all of a sudden, a group of five males entered and sat with a really drunk guy. Pinaligiran nila ito. I can tell that he was drunk by simply looking at him. Kanina pa kasi s'ya d'yan e.

Mas nauna pa ata sa akin.

"P're, tama na 'yan!" I heard the first guy in the group say.

"Bakit ganoon pare? I thought these..." he said, pointing to the bottles in the table. "e nakakamanhid?! Bakit ang sakit pa rin? Bakit hindi pa rin maalis yung sakit na idinulot n'ya?" sagot nung lalaki na lasing na lasing na.

The other guy sat with him, including the one who approached him while the other two tried to assist him out because he was almost sitting on the floor. Yung isa namang natira e pumunta sa may counter at binayaran ang mga kailangang bayaran at umorder ng scotch.

"Ano pa bang mali sa'kin? Bakit n'ya ako iniwan?! Am I not enough for her?"

"Dude, stop. Halika na."

He tried getting the bottle of vodka he was drinking. But the drank guy, didn't let him.

"Tangina pare! Tatlong taon! Inaalagan ko s'ya ng tatlong taon and all she did was left me!" sigaw pa n'ya. That instant, he was getting attention from the other people in the bar. They were staring at him.

Somehow, something strucked me in the heart. Parang natamaan ako dun.

Paano kung iwanan din ako ni Ara?

"Anong nangyari dun?" tanong nung bartender who was busy wiping the cupboard.

The guy who was part of the group spoke. "Iniwan ng fiancee."

"Bakit naman?" hindi ko napigilang itanong.

He shrugged. "Iniwan lang naman s'ya ng tanginang yun. Lahat naman ginawa n'ya para sa fiancee n'ya e. Pero hindi talaga namin maintindihan kung bakit s'ya iniwan. They were suppose to get married pa nga e."

"Baka naman nagsawa?"

The guy beside me, sighed again. "Pre, nakakasawa ba yung mahalin ka ng lubos ng isang tao? Yung tanginang yun ang may problema! Hindi na nakuntento e!" he said with clenched jaw and gritted teeth.

The bartender spoke this time. "May mga tao talagang hindi makuntento."

"Kailan ba dapat ang kasal nila?" Tanong ko.

"Tomorrow was the set date. Yung kawawang kaibigan ko spend all of his fortunes for their supposed-to-be marriage. He even forced and convinced his parents to come home here in Pinas e. Matatanda na ang mga 'yon! He even asked her na sa amerika na sila ikasal para di na mahihirapan yung magulang n'ya pero hindi pumayag yung babae. Muntik pa ngang maatake sa puso yun nanay n'ya e."

That must've been really hard for him and his parents. Akalain n'yo yun? They were suppose to see their son happy but instead, they came home to see their son in a state like this.

Tinignan ko muli ang lalaking lasing na lasing. He was already crying.

I've heard of guys that cry over girls.. but not this hard. Parang kahit na hindi ako 'yun e nasasaktan pa rin ako.

"He had attempts on suicide kaya hindi namin s'ya maiwan iwan e." sabi pa nung lalaking katabi ko.

He must've really love this girl.

I heaved a sigh of exasperating and patted the friend's back.

"Bantayan n'yo na lang." I told him one last time then I stood up.

"Aalis ka na sir?" the bartender asked.

I nodded. "Yeah, many things to do pa e."

I went outside and inhaled breathful of air. And dialled her phone number.

"Hello?" her voice was shaking like she just came from crying.

"Where are you?"

"Bakit?"

"I'll visit you."

"Sa bahay."

"Okay. Stay there. Mag-usap tayo."

"Okayy."

"One more thing..."

"What?"

"I love you, bebe ko."

My heart was beating and pounding so hard. Ang ewan kasi e. I'm usually not that type who says that when were in a state of war e. I usually wait for her to say it first.

"Ara?"

"I love you too."