➵ 01 | B R E E

BREE WASN'T ONE of my favorite villages, I thought yet again as I rode through the gates

BREE WASN'T ONE of my favorite villages, I thought yet again as I rode through the gates. I'd rather sleep outside in the woods than to stop by. However, a certain wizard wanted to talk to me and unfortunately, I still owned him a debt.

I pulled my hood deeper over my head as I made my way towards the Prancing Pony. Rain dropped onto my dark cloak and I was glad when I finally reached my destination. I gave my horse to the stable boy and entered the inn.

There were a lot of people. Mostly men. As my grey eyes peered through the room, I saw Gandalf sitting with a dwarf. They seemed to be in a deep conversation.

It was as if Gandalf could feel my eyes on him for he looked up and gestured for me to come and sit with them. I walked over and sat next to Gandalf. I nodded at the dwarf and the dwarf nodded back. I pulled my hood back and unclasped my cloak, draping it over the chair next to me to let it dry near the fireplace.

"Thorin, let me introduce you to Keira, a Ranger of the South," Gandalf said.

I smiled slightly and held out my hand. "It's a pleasure meeting you Master Oakenshield."

He shook my hand, while observing. "Pleasure is all mine."

"I have summoned Miss Keira because you will need her on your quest."

I raised my eyebrow at this.

Quest? First time I hear about this.

Thorin shook his head. "I'm not bringing a woman with me."

I gave him a quick glance before looking back at Gandalf. "First time for everything." He gave me an apologetic look. "I'm sorry Gandalf, but I have a job to do for Arathorn," I added.

He smiled. "That my dear is not a problem anymore."

I raised my eyebrow, but he ignored it. Gandalf looked at Thorin.

"She has travelled a lot, you'll need her."

Thorin sighed. "Fine she can come."

Wait what? I blinked. Is he serious?

Gandalf smiled. "Thank you my friend." He stood up. "I hate to leave but I have something to do. Keira dear, I have hired a room for you."

I nodded in thanks and he left, leaving the two of us in an awkward silence.

"So," I began looking the dwarf up and down. He was rather handsome, I noticed. "You're staying too?"

He nodded and I smiled. My smile faded when I saw a man standing behind him with a knife. I grabbed a dagger and threw it in the arm of the knife. I stood up and disarmed him. I took my dagger again and laid it on his neck.

"Let's go for a walk." I whispered in his ear.

I saw Thorin, who had shock written all over his face, and gestured him with a nod to follow us. We walked out of the inn into the pouring rain.

I pushed him to the wall. "Who's your master?" I asked.

He smiled evilly.

"I will not answer a maiden."

Thorin, who stood beside me, hissed, "Anwer her question, filth."

He smiled and before I could so something, he took another knife and tried to hit me. I ducked and he got away. He ran to the gate but I threw my dagger and it hit him right in the back. He fell, dead.

Thorin looked at me with respect and I smiled. I walked over and pulled my dagger out. I turned him over and searched his bags. I found a piece of paper and opened it. I was shocked when I saw Thorin's head.

Shit.

I showed Thorin the paper. He frowned. "What do they want?"

I glanced up at him.

"Your head."

He paled and I stood up. "We can't stay here. Pack your things and meet me at the gate." I turned, without waiting for his response. I went back to the inn, canceled my room, took my horse and rode to the gate.

I didn't need to wait long. Thorin was riding on his pony to the gate. "What's your next stop?" I just asked.

He glanced at me before answering. "The Blue Mountains."

I nodded, rather obvious. "Well then, I'll see you in the Shire." I smiled and turned my horse. Before this adventure would take place, I have to meet with a certain Ranger of the North.

He was not there. Just great. I rode the whole way to the North, just for someone who isn't there. I sighed. I couldn't wait for him, I was supposed to be in the Shire within a week. I took a piece of paper and started to write.

Dear Arathorn,

YOU WERE NOT HERE! So I couldn't tell you personally but I'm going on an adventure with Thorin Oakenshield to retake back Erebor!

I'm possibly walking to my death, I know. But they deserve just as much as we a place to call 'home'.

If I die on this quest, than all my belongings belong to you. There is no one else for me. I also wanted to thank you for everything you've done for me, you were like a second father.

I hope to see you again.

With love,
Keira

I folded the letter and gave it to the ranger. "This is for Arathorn, don't lose it!" He nodded and I went off to the Shire, looking for a certain Bilbo Baggins.