➵ 02 | B I L B O B A G G I N S

I MET THORIN in the Shire

I MET THORIN in the Shire. He was rather grumpy, I had to admit.

"Lost my friend?" I spoke up and he turned around, a hand on his sword. However, as soon as he recognized me, he let go of the handle and leaded his pony further.

"No," he grunted.

"Well we can ride together if you like," I said strategical. He looked relieved and nodded. I smiled and took the lead.

We arrived at a green door. I dismounted and bound my horse with the others. I held back and let Thorin take the lead. He knocked on the door and waited. A little man with big feet opened the door. Gandalf stood behind him.

"Gandalf," Thorin began, "you said it would be easy to find. I lost my way, twice. If it wasn't for Keira than I would never have found it at all."

He entered the house, while I just waited until the hobbit invited me inside. Gandalf saw me standing outside and laughed.

"My dear Bilbo, Keira wouldn't enter before your permission."

Bilbo looked at me with shock. "Of course. Come in, my lady."

I smiled. "Thank you Master Hobbit, but you can just call me Keira."

He smiled. "Then you can must call me Bilbo."

I patted his shoulder. "As you wish."

I took my cloak off and turned when I felt eyes on me. Two young dwarfs were staring at me, making me grin.

"Can I help you?"

They looked at each other before looking back at me with a twinkle in their eyes.

"I'm Fili," the blond one began. "And Kili," the dark haired continued. "At your service." They said in union, bowing at me.

I laughed. "Keira, at yours." I looked at them. "How long did you practice to do that?"

They laughed. "A couple of days." Fili replied.

"What news from the meeting in Ered Luin? Did they all come?" Balin asked, sitting next to Thorin.

"Aye, Envoys from all the seven kingdoms." Thorin informed them. The other dwarfs muttered amongst themselves happily.

"What do the dwarfs of the Iron Hills say? Is Dain with us?" Dwalin asked. Everyone present went silent, awaiting Thorins answer. He looked down at his supper, seeming to have lost his appetite.