➵ 04 | T R O L L S

THE NEXT DAY we rode further and guess what, it rained

THE NEXT DAY we rode further and guess what, it rained. Raindrops were dripping from my cloak on my hands.

"Hey mister Gandalf!" I heard Dori yell, "can't you do anything about the weather?"

"It is raining, Master Dwarf, and it will continue to rain until the rain is done. If you wish to change the weather of the world, you should find yourself another wizard." Gandalf replied.

I grinned when I saw Dori's face.

"Are there any?" Bilbo asked curiously.

"What?"

"Other wizards?" Bilbo confirmed.

"There are five of us. The greatest of our order is Saruman The White. Then there are the two Blue Wizards; you know, I've quite forgotten their names." Gandalf answers thoughtfully.

"And who's the fifth?" 

"That would be Radagast The Brown," I piped in.

"Is he a great wizard or is he more like you, Gandalf?" Bilbo asked.

Gandalf looked over his shoulder, slightly offended. I looked at Bilbo.

"I think he is a very great wizard, in his own way. He's a gentle soul who prefers the company of animals to others. He keeps an watchful eye on the vast forest lands to the East, and a good thing too, for always Evil will look to find a foothold in this world."

After that Bilbo didn't asked any more questions.

After a few hours, we arrived at the ruin of a small building, when Thorin halted to stop for the night.

"A farmer and his wife used to live here," Gandalf muttered. "We should move on, make for the Hidden Pass," Gandalf urged.

"I have told you already, I will not go near that place," Thorin replied.

"Why not? The elves could help us. We could get food, rest, advice."

"I do not need their advice." It was clear that Thorin wouldn't gave in.

They argued for a while and when I looked back up, I saw Gandalf stalking away.

"Everything alright?" Bilbo asked. "Gandalf, where are you going?"

"To seek the company of the only one around here who's got any sense!"

"Who's that?"

"Myself, Mr Baggins! I've had enough of dwarves for one day!"

I shook my head, dwarves could be so stubborn sometimes.