Good Morning

Astrid's POV

Bilbo and I sat in the bench in our garden over looking Bag-end. Since my parents died Bilbo has been my primary guardian. He's my older cousin on my father's side. My name is Astrid Took and I am the Shire's protector. Against Bilbo's wishes, of course. But I wanted to follow my father's lead. I even have his old battle axe. I trained myself in how to weld it and a sword.

 Not that the Shire needs much protecting. No one either game here and it is just us Hobbits. But I do go to Bree occasionally, to see their blacksmith and win some money as a masked fighter. Right now I am sipping my morning tea as Bilbo smokes his pipe. His smoke ring suddenly turns into a butterfly. We look up surprised, to see a hooded tall figure.

"Good morning" Bilbo tells the person smiling.

"What do you mean? Do you mean to wish me a good morning, or do you mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not? Or, perhaps you mean to say that you feel good on this particular morning. Or are you simply stating that this is a morning to be good on?" the man asks him.

"All of them, I suppose" Bilbo tells him. The man looks slightly disapprovingly at Bilbo; Bilbo is confused and bewildered.

"Can we help you?" I ask the man.

"That remains to be seen. I'm looking for someone to share in an adventure" the man states.

"An adventure? Now, I don't imagine anyone west of Bree would have much interest in adventures. Except maybe Astrid here" Bilbo tells the man who looks at me before turning back to Bilbo. "Nasty, disturbing, uncomfortable things. Make you late for dinner, hm, mm" he mumbles.

"Says the hobbit always begging me to take him to Bree" I say smirking. Bilbo gets up and checks our mailbox, grabbing some mail and sorting through it, clucking to himself. He looks quite uncomfortable because the man is still standing there. Puffing his pipe in vexation, he begins heading back inside. I stand up to hello him.

"Good morning" Bilbo says again to the man.

"To think that I should have lived to be good-morninged by Belladonna Took's son, as if I were selling buttons at the door" the man says. I look at him surprised, how did he know my aunt's name. She was my dad's older sister, except she never helped protect the Shire. Decided to marry and have a family instead.

"Beg your pardon" Bilbo says looking at the man.

"You've changed, and not entirely for the better, Bilbo Baggins. Unlike Astrid" the man states.

"Sorry, do we know you?" I ask confused and Bilbo nods his head in agreement.

"Well, you know my name, although you don't remember I belong to it. I'm Gandalf! And Gandalf means ... me" the man states. I've heard of Gandalf, he's the grey wizard. There's a white one also called Saruman, but no others I believe.

"Gandalf...not Gandalf, the wandering Wizard, who made such excellent fireworks! Old Took used to have them on Midsummer's Eve. Ha, ha! Well. Hmm, I had no idea you were still in business" Bilbo tells him.

"And where else should I be?" Gandalf asks him with a raised eyebrow.

"Ha, ha! Hm, hmm..." Bilbo says puffing on his pipe confusedly.

"Well, I'm pleased to find your remember something about me, even if it's only my fireworks. Well that's decided. It will be very good for you, and most amusing for me. I shall inform the others" Gandalf states.

"Others?" I ask confused.

"What? No. No. No! Wait. We do not want any adventures here, thank you. Not today, not-mm. I suggest you try over the Hill or across the Water. Good morning" Bilbo says dragging me into the house. Once inside, he bolts the door and leans against it. Hearing a curious noise, he puts his ear close to the door. Alarmed, Bilbo looks out his side window, only to jump back in fright and hides behind a wall; he looks out another window.Before sighing and turns to me.

"That was rude Bilbo" I tell him. "He has obviously traveled far to find you, we should of at least made him a hot drink and something to eat" I state. "I'm going to the market, what do you want for dinner tonight?" I ask him.

"I want fish tonight and I'll get the tea from outside" he states. I nod my head and grab my bag along with my axe. I never leave the house without it, even if I'm going to the market. I go outside and mount my pony 'Fly'. I lead her to the market and tie her to a post.

"What can I get you today Astrid?" the shop keeper asks.

"I heard you got some new fish, I'd like two of them please along with the usual" I tell him smiling. He nods his head and takes my bag. While he fills it with my order I take out my money. "Here you go, keep the change" I tell him as I take the full bag from him. He gives me a smile and I leave the shop. I ride Fly home and let her free in her paddock.

Bilbo came and took the bag as I brushed Fly. I then did her water and food before going inside with some firewood. I put it down next to the fire and add a couple of logs to keep in hot. While Bilbo sat in his chair reading a book. "I'll cook tonight Astrid, you just got back last night and should relax" he tells me.

"If you are sure Bilbo" I say and he nods his head. We then continue on with our normal routine. Like Gandalf had never been here.

A/N

Picture above of Bilbo and Gandalf talking. Picture on the external link of Fly.