Lake Town Refugees

Astrid's POV

"Are you sure we won't get in trouble?" I ask Fili giggling. As he drags me through the tunnels.

"Oh we'll get in trouble, but we both need a bath and us time. Besides I have new outfit for you" he tells me smiling. "No be quiet or we'll be caught" he adds. I smile and he drags me into a large bathing chamber. "Welcome to the royal bathing chamber" he announces.

He kneels down to check the temperature of the water. I smirk and push him in, before laughing. He surfaces and gives me a playful glare. "Here, let me help you" I say holding a hand out.

"No, let me help you" he says grabbing it and pulls me in. I scream as I hit the water and cling to him. "You're ok, you're safe" he assures me. I open my eyes to realize I can stand in the water and splash him.

"Don't scare me like that, you know I can't swim" I scold him pouting.

"I can give you a few pointers, but you'll have to lose some clothes" he says huskily in my ear. I shiver in delight.

"You to" I tell him smiling. We strip down to our under garments. I grab a clothe and start to clean my arms. While I feel him do my hair. "That feels nice" I tell him smiling. "So how old are you?" I ask him.

"I'm 82" he answers and I look at him surprised.

"I'm dating an old man" I tease and he hugs me.

"I'm still young for a dwarf, we can live to be nearly 350 years old. If I wasn't my age, I'd out live you by over a century" he tells me.

"Well I am thirty and can leave to be over a hundred" I tell him. "Guess we'll have to make the most of our time together. Before our children" I say kiss under his jaw.

"Keep doing that and we'll get a repeat of Lake Town without the alcohol" he tells me.

"Who says I don't want that?" I ask him. He turns me around and kisses me deeply. I wrap my legs around his waist and ...

After our fun, we washed up and I put on the dress he'd chosen for me. "You look beautiful" he states. I smile and hug him.

"I've been thinking" I tell him. "The bead you gave me tells everyone I'm taken. But you don't have anything to say you're taken. So I've been working with Ori and designed my own personal bead for you to wear. It just needs to be made" I explain.

"I'd be honoured to wear it and let everyone know I am yours" he tells me. "We should rejoin the others" he tells me. I nod my head and we leave the bathing chamber. As we head back to the treasure room we hear Thorin shout 'To the gate. Now!'.

We run to it and meet the others there. "Build a wall of stone, block the gate" Thorin orders. "I'll deal with you two later" he adds looking at Fili and I. We blush and start to help the others. We work to move the fallen debris and stones to close up the gate. "I want this Fortress made safe by sun-up. This Mountain was hard-won, I will not see it taken again" he tells us.

"The people of Lake-town have nothing" I tell him as I pause.

"She's right, they came to us in need. They have lost everything" Kili adds.

"Do not tell me what they have lost. I know well enough of hardship. Those who've lived through dragon fire should rejoice! They have much to be grateful for" Thorin tells us annoyed. We sigh and get back to work as he looks at the ruined city of Dale. "More stone! Bring more stone to the gate!" he orders.

We finish the wall by morning. Thorin takes Fili and I away from the others. We return to the treasury. Thorin picks up a necklace amongst some white gems. He laughs to himself. "The White gems of Lasgalen. I know an Elf-lord who will pay a pretty price for these" he tells us. He tosses them back onto the pile. So those are the gems Thranduil wanted. "Now I don't care if you're courting, war is opinion us. This is no time to slack off" he tells us.

"We know Uncle, but we were both filthy and Astrid needed new clothes. We also wanted some alone time" Fili tells him.

"You'll get plenty of that when this is over, until then no more alone time" he tells us.

"Can't we at least have time to forge my bead for Fili? It won't take long" I tell him.

"You may have time later, lets return to the others" Thorin states. We leave the treasury and return to the wall. We head to the overlook where the others are. A lone horseman approaches Erebor.

"Hail Thorin, son of Thrain. We are glad to find you alive beyond hope" Bard says.

"Why do you come to gates of the King under the Mountain armed for war?" Thorin asks him.

"Why does the King under the Mountain fence himself in like a robber in his hole?" Bard shots back. Have to agree with him there.

"Perhaps it is because I'm expecting to be robbed" Thorin tells him.

"My Lord, we have not come to rob you, but to seek fair settlement. Will you not speak with me?" Bard asks. Thorin goes down to talk to him through a small hole in the wall. Bilbo follows to listen in. But honestly we can hear from up here.

"Lass, we've started to forge the bead" Ori tells me.

"Thank you" I tell him smiling as Fili hugs me.

"On behalf of the people of Lake-town, I ask that you honor your pledge. A share of the treasure, so that they might rebuild their lives" we hear Bard tell Thorin.

"I will not treat with any man, while an armed host lies before my door" Thorin tells him.

"That armed host will attack this mountain if we do not come to terms" Bard states. I gulp nervously looking up at Fili and to where Bilbo went.

"And your threats do not sway me" Thorin tells Bard.

"What of your conscience?" Bard asks him. "My people offered you help and in return you brought upon them only ruin and death" he tells Thorin.

"When did the men of Lake-town come to our aid but for the promise of rich reward" Thorin retorts.

"A bargain was struck!" Bard exclaims.

"A bargain? What choice did we have but to barter our birthright for blankets and food. To ransom our future in exchange for our freedom. You call that a fair trade? Tell me, Bard the dragon-slayer, why should I honor such terms?" Thorin asks him.

"Because you gave us your word. Does that mean nothing?" Bard asks him. Thorin steps away from the wall and looks up at the rest of us.

"Begone! Ere our arrows fly!" he shouts. Bard leaves looking angry. We watch him ride away on his horse.

"What are you doing? You cannot go to war" Bilbo tells him.

"I agree" I state.

"This does not concern you both" he tells us.

"I am courting with your nephew, it does concern me" I snap.

"Excuse me, but just in case you haven't noticed, there is an army of Elves out there. Not to mention several hundred angry fishermen. We...we are in fact outnumbered" Bilbo adds.

"Not for much longer" Thorin tells him.

"What does that mean?" we ask him.

"It means Miss Took and Master Baggins, you should never underestimate Dwarves. We have reclaimed Erebor. Now we defend it" Thorin tells us.

A/N

Picture above of Thorin and on the external link of Astrid's new dress.