Down in Goblin Town

Astrid's POV

"Wake up. Wake up!" Thorin yells waking us up. Before anyone of us can react, the floor of the cave collapses downwards; the floor is really a giant trap door. Our entire Company falls down a chute, slides through a tunnel, and lands in a giant wooden cage.  I quickly put my cloak on, pulling the hood over my face as a horde of goblins appear. I pull Bilbo close and we crouch down low.

We get missed by the goblins; not seeing us as they leave us behind. Nori, looking over his shoulder, sees us. I place a finger to my lips and he remains silent. "Draw you sword" I tell Bilbo as I pull out my axe. We scamper behind a railing as we watch the others be taken away.

"What now?" Bilbo asks.

"I'm thinking" I tell him. "We need Gandalf" I say and look up at the trap door. "Give me a boost and stay hidden. Try find the others and I'll be back as soon as possible" I assure him.

"You're leaving me?" he asks shocked.

"You'll be fine, just remember what I taught you" I say as I climb onto his shoulders. I grab the trap door and pull myself up. I begin to climb up the chute and back into the cave. "Time to find Gandalf" I mumble as I stretch. I then start to head back down the mountain towards Rivendell.

(Ten minutes later)

"Astrid Took, what are you doing here by yourself? Where are the others?" Gandalf asks.

"Long story short, they were caught by Goblins and have been taken to Goblin town. Bilbo's on their trail and I came to get you. We must hurry" I tell him.

"Yes we must, lead on" he tells me. So I lead him back to the cave and we enter the chute. "Stay close to me" he states as I draw my axe. I follow him through goblin town, wondering where Bilbo was. We soon hear the citizens of goblin town singing as we hand behind a rock.

"I know that sword! It is the Goblin-Cleaver, the Biter, the blade that sliced a thousand necks. Slash them! Beat them! Kill them! Kill them all! Cut off his head!" one of them shouts. Suddenly steps out from behind our rock and a blinding light filled the room, sending a shock wave.

"Take up arms. Fight" Gandalf tells the dwarves and I draw my axe. I kill two goblins until they realize I'm there.

"Astrid!" Fili and Kili cheer soon we're fighting together.

"Follow me, quick run" Gandalf tells us. Cutting down the goblins around us, we run along a pathway leading away from the throne room. We are running through the suspended passageways of Goblin Town, with hundreds of goblins running after us.

Dwalin sees several goblins running at them from in front and shouts "Posts!". We cut a guardrail post from the side of the path. Then the dwarves hold it out in front of them like a massive spear. "Charge!" he shouts. He and the other dwarves charge at the oncoming goblins and sweep them away with the long rail. Dropping the rail, Dwalin pulls out his axes and begins knocking aside goblins. The rest of us do the same with our own weapons.

We end up on a raised platform with goblins swinging towards us on ropes. "Cut the ropes!" I shout. Thorin and some of the dwarves cut the ropes holding a raised platform in place; the platform falls outward, entangling the goblins swinging on the ropes.

Kili and some of the other dwarves run forward, pushing a ladder and the goblins it has trapped in front of them. As we approach a missing area of the path, the goblins fall down into the darkness; the ladder, however, acts as a bridge for us to cross to the rest of the path. As soon as we cross it, Dwalin breaks the ladder, preventing the goblins chasing them from crossing it.

We continue running through the maze-like paths; we get on a section of the path suspended by ropes from above. The others slice some ropes, and the pathway swings away from the rest of the path, approaching a different path. "Jump!" Thorin shouts.

Several of the dwarves manage to jump to the other path; however, before the rest of us can, the suspended path swings back like a pendulum to where it started. Fili stopped me from falling as several goblins leap onto the platform. As the path swings back again, the rest of us and Gandalf manage to jump to the new path as well; we cut the ropes, causing the swinging path and the goblins on it to fall.

Soon, we approach a bridge between two walls of a cavern. As we try to cross it, the Great Goblin King suddenly breaks through from underneath the bridge and pulls himself up onto the bridge, in front of our company. As we pause, hundreds of goblins approach us from all sides. "What are you going to do now, wizard" the great goblin asks Gandalf.

Gandalf leaps forward and strikes the Great Goblin in the eye with his staff. The Great Goblin drops his mace and clutches his face in pain. Gandalf steps forward and slices the Great Goblin in the belly; the Great Goblin falls to his knees, clutching his belly. "That's do it" the great goblin king says. Gandalf again swings his sword and slices the Great Goblin's neck, causing him to fall down dead.

His weight causes the bridge to start shaking; suddenly, the section of the bridge on which we're standing on breaks away from the rest of the bridge and starts sliding down the side of the cavern. The bridge slides at a terrific speed down the cavern's wall, demolishing everything in its way; the dwarves cling on, screaming in terror. I scream also as someone holds me close protecting me. The bridge slows down and lands at the base of the cavern. Gandalf and I are the first to get out of the wreckage. I see it had been Fili holding me.

I hold my hand out to help him out when Bofur speaks. "Well, that could have been worse" he says. Suddenly, the heavy corpse of the Great Goblin lands on the wreckage, squishing the dwarves further. They cry out in pain. But I had managed to pull Fili away just in time. We got the others out and ran outside into the sunlight.