Company Reuniting

Astrid's POV

"Kili, come on. We're leaving!" Fili calls.

"Fili, let him say goodbye to Tauriel" I scold him.

"Yes, Astrid dear" he says smiling sheepishly. Legolas arrives calling Tauriel away from Kili. Kili and Tauriel give each other a longing look before he reluctantly turns to leave. But suddenly he stops and turns back to Tauriel, he hands her the stone his mother had given him. He then joins us and we set off across the lake to Erebor.

We arrive at the Lonely Mountain to rejoin the rest of the Company but find it in ruins and deserted. "Bilbo!" I shout as we enter the mountain. Fearing the worst and Fili gives my hand a comforting squeeze.

"Hello! Bombur? Bifur? Anybody?" Bofur calls. We hear someone approaching and Bilbo appears. I sigh in relief and hug him tightly as he tells us to go no farther. To leave. "We only just got here" Bofur tells him.

"I tried talking to him, but he won't listen" Bilbo states.

"Wh...what do you mean, laddie?" Oin asks him.

"Thorin, he's been down there for days. He doesn't sleep, he barely eats. He's not been himself, not at all. It's this...it's this place. I think a sickness lies upon it" Bilbo explains.

"Sickness?" Kili asks.

"What sort of sickness?" I ask Bilbo. Fili notices something and runs off. We follow him quickly and end up in the treasure room. "Whoa" I say in shock looking at all the gold, gems and jewels.

Thorin walking around the treasure piles in king robes. "Gold beyond measure, beyond sorrow and grieve" he mutters. He notices us and looks up. "Behold, the great treasure hoard of Thrór" he tells us. He picks up a ruby and tosses it to Fili, who catches it. "Welcome, my sister's sons, to the Kingdom of Erebor" he tells them.

We rejoin the rest of the company and many hugs are exchanged. They all congratulate Fili and I on my new braid. Fili smiles hugging me close. But the reunion is short lived when Thorin tells us to help him find the Arkenstone. I go with Bilbo to search, so that we can catch up. He tells me about Smaug and the conversation they'd had. Then how they tried to kill him and failed. Which lead him to attacking Lake Town.

"Any sign of it?!" Thorin calls. We all say no and he tells us to keep searching. "All of you! No one rests until it is found!" he shouts. I see Bilbo pocket something and frown. I'd talk to him about it later. Soon Bilbo, Balin, Dwalin and I go speak to Thorin. "It is here in these halls, I know it" he mumbles.

"Thorin, we have searched for hours on end" I tell him gently.

"Not well enough" he grumbles.

"We would see the stone returned" Dwalin assures him.

"And yet it's still not found!" Thorin shouts.

"Do you doubt the loyalty of anyone here?" Balin asks him. Thorin looks down at the others, who are still searching for the Arkenstone. "The Arkenstone is the birthright of our people" he states.

"It is the King's jewel. Am I not the King?!" Thorin demands. "Know this, if anyone should find it and withhold it from me, I will be avenged" he states. I frown, this is not the Thorin I left the Shire with. The Thorin would of never doubted the loyalty of his kin. Thorin leaves with Dwalin, while Bilbo and I remain with Balin.

"Dragon sickness. I've seen it before. That look, the terrible need. It is a fierce and jealous love Freya, Bilbo. It sent his grandfather mad" Balin tells us.

"Balin, if-if Thorin had the Arkenstone. Well, if-if it was found, would it help?" Bilbo asks him.

"That stone crowns all. It's the summit of this great wealth, bestowing power upon he who bears it. But stay his madness? No, lad. I fear it would make him worse. Perhaps it is best it remains lost" Balin tells us before rejoining the others.

Bilbo and I sit down on the stairs. "Bilbo, you have the stone? Don't you?" I ask him.

"Yes, what do you think I should do?" he asks me.

"It's your decision, just don't tell me. I don't want to be in the middle" I tell him. Thorin appears behind us. "I have to return to Fili, see you later Bilbo" I say and leave the pair.

A/N

Picture above of Erebor and on the external link of the treasure room.

See you in the new year where Bilbo hands the Arkenstone to Bard.