Astrid's History

Third Person

Astrid storm over to him and snatch the axe from glaring hotly. "You don't touch this, don't ever touch it!" she shouts at Thorin. Then storms out of the house to the hall holding the axe close.

"What was that about?" Dwalin asks Thorin who shrugs. Fili looks out to the hall and follows to see if she was ok. He finds her outside on a bench and approaches her slowly.

"You ok Astrid?" he asks.

"I'm fine, I shouldn't of yelled at him like that" she says as she looks at the axe.

"May I ask why you did?" Fili asks as he sits beside her.

"This axe is very special to me as is the other one" she tells him. "It belonged to my father before he died nine years ago. My other axe was the last thing he and mum gave me before they were killed" she explains.

"May I?" Fili asks gesturing to the axe and she nods her head handing it to him. "This is dwarven made" he states.

"A dwarf gave it to my grandpa after he helped in a battle. From that day on he made himself the protector of the Shire. He meet my grandmother married and had two children. My aunt was suppose to continue protecting us. But chose to marry and have a family instead. So the axe was passed down to my father instead. He protected the Shire for a decade before he meet my mum and married her. They had me and he knew I'd follow in their footsteps one day. So made me the axe for my eleventh birthday. But he didn't live long enough to give it to me" she explain.

"What happened?" Fili asks handing the axe back.

"Orcs threatened the Shire, so him and mum went to fight them. They killed most of them and drove the others away. But They were both badly wounded and did not survive. My aunt and Uncle took me in, raised me along with Bilbo. When they died, Bilbo became my soul guardian" Astrid finishes. Inside Bilbo had told Gandalf the same story not knowing a few of the dwarves overheard him.

"Have the orcs ever returned?" Fili asks and Astrid shakes her head.

"Can you tell me everyone's names?" she asks. Fili nods and gives her everyone's names, along with a description of each. He then asks why Astrid keeps the axe in fighting condition. "One day it'll belong to my husband or son. But no hobbit here wishes to help me protect the Shire. The men of Bree are to cocky and proud. So it remains unused, but fighting ready for the day I find my one" she explains.

"I hope you find him" Fili tells her. "Is that pony yours?" he asks pointing to dark pony grazing in the pasture.

"Yeah it was my uncles before he died, but he never got to train it. So I did so calling her Fly and she now takes me to Bree. As well as around the Shire when I patrol" she states. They then head back inside and Astrid approaches Thorin and the elder dwarf. That Fili said was called Balin.

"I'm sorry for yelling you Thorin, it's just this axe was my fathers and is very special to me" she says bowing. Thorin looks at Balin before looking at the young woman before him. Before smiling gently.

"Apology accepted" Thorin states and heads to the lounge room with Balin. Where all the other dwarves were already smoking their pipes. I then put the axe back in my room. Before going to find Bilbo when I hear the dwarves begin to sing a new song. I in an arm chair and watched the dwarves sing.

"Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long forgotten gold
The pines were roaring on the height
The winds were moaning in the night
The fire was red, it flaming spread;
The trees like torches blazed with light..." they sing and Astrid fulls asleep in an armchair. Fili notices and places a cloak over her as the others continues to sing.

A/N

Picture above of Astrid's father's axe and video above of the dwarves singing.