Map and Contract

Astrid's POV

Gandalf lets in another dwarf, that looks like Fili and Kili. But older. "Gandalf. I thought you said this place would be easy to find. I lost my way, twice. Wouldn't have found it at all had it not been for that mark on the door" the dwarf states.

"There's no mark on the door" I state.

"It was painted a week ok" Bilbo adds.

"There is a mark; I put it there myself. Bilbo Baggins, Astrid Took allow me to introduce the leader of our company, Thorin Oakenshield" Gandalf says.

"So, this is the Hobbit. Tell me, Mr. Baggins, have you done much fighting?" Thorin asks.

"Pardon me?" Bilbo says confused.

"Axe or sword? What's your weapon of choice?" Thorin asks.

"Well, I have some skill at Conkers, if you must know, but I fail to see why that's relevant" Bilbo states.

"Thought as much. He looks more like a grocer than a burglar" Thorin states. The other dwarves laugh and I glare at them all. I was about to give Thorin a piece of my mind, but Gandalf stopped me. Bilbo and I enter the kitchen as Gandalf asks us for a little more light.

"Far to the East, over ranges and rivers, beyond woodlands and wastelands, lies a single solitary peak" Gandalf says.

"The Lonely Mountain" Bilbo reads the map Gandalf had laid out.

"Who'd ever go there? It's guarded by a dragon" I state.

"Ravens have been seen flying back to the mountain as it was foretold: When the birds of yore return to Erebor, the reign of the beast will end" a dwarf recites.

"What Beast?" Bilbo asks confused and I roll my eyes. I just said it was a dragon.

"Well that would be a reference to Smaug the Terrible, chiefest and greatest calamity of our age. Airborne fire-breather, teeth like razors, claws like meathooks, extremely fond of precious metals..." the dwarf with the funny hat starts explains.

"Yes, I know what a dragon is" Bilbo tells him.

"I'm not afraid! I'm up for it. I'll give him a taste of the Dwarfish iron right up his jacksie" the youngest dwarf states. An other dwarf tells him sit back down. Soon all the dwarves are arguing amongest themselves. 

Thorin jumps up in anger and bellows "Shazara!". (Translation: silence). "If we have read these signs, do you not think others will have read them too? Rumours have begun to spread. The dragon Smaug has not been seen for 60 years. Eyes look east to the Mountain, assessing, wondering, weighing the risk. Perhaps the vast wealth of our people now lies unprotected. Do we sit back while others claim what is rightfully ours? Or do we seize this chance to take back Erebor? Du Bekâr! Du Bekâr!" he says. (Translation: to arms, to arms).

Gandalf then gives Thorin a key saying how it'll unlock a hidden door to the mountain. The word 'burglar' was brought up again and Bilbo speaks. "Hm, A good one, too. An expert, I'd imagine" he states.

"And are you?" asks a dwarf.

"Am I what?" Bilbo asks confused.

"He says he's an expert" the one with a horn to his ear states.

"M--Me? No, no, no, no, no. I'm not a burglar; I've never stolen a thing in my life" Bilbo says.

"I'm afraid I have to agree with Mr. Baggins. He's hardly burglar material" the old dwarf states.

"What about Astrid?" Fili asks. "She has an axe" he states.

"Yeah to defend the Shire, I'm not  going off on some adventure to fight a dragon" I state.

"Aye, the wild is no place for gentlefolk who can neither fight nor fend for themselves" Dwalin says.

"Who says I can't fight? Sure, Bilbo can't" I state.

"Enough! If I say Bilbo Baggins is a burglar, then a burglar he is" Gandalf declares in a powerful voice. "Hobbits are remarkably light on their feet. In fact, they can pass unseen by most if they choose. And while the dragon is accustomed to the smell of dwarf, the scent of hobbit is all but unknown to him, which gives us a distinct advantage. You asked me to find the fourteenth member of this company, and I have chosen Mr. Baggins. There's a lot more to him than appearances suggest, and he's got a great deal more to offer than any of you know, including himself. You must trust me on this" he tells Thorin.

"Very well, we'll do it your way. Give him the contract" he states. The old dwarf takes out a long contract and hands it to Bilbo.

"It's just the usual summary of out-of-pocket expenses, time required, remuneration, funeral arrangements, so forth" he says. I roll my eyes and leave the room. I put my axe back into my room and take out my father's old battle axe. Mother had given to him when they married and now it's mine. Along with the one he and mother had made for me. But it is to heavy for me to weld. I plan to give it to my future husband one day.

Just then I heard a thud and place the axe in front of the fire. I investigate the sound to see Bilbo unconscious on the floor. "What happened?" I demand as I kneel beside my cousin.

"Bofur was talking about the dragon and Bilbo fainted" Gandalf states.

"Get him to his arm chair Gandalf, while I make him some tea" I instruct. I head to the kitchen and brew some tea. I then gave Bilbo a cup and head back to the lounge when I hear Thorin ask about an axe. I enter to see him holding my father's battle axe and ....

Cliff hanger

A/N

Picture above of the map and picture on the external link of the contract. You'll see the battle axe in the next chapter.