A real family

Its been 2 weeks since we adopted Maria. Life has been so perfect. We are a real family now, and we don't need to worry about Maria's god awful parents anymore. Why they were so evil was beyond me. I mean, using their own daughter as a test subject. It was disgusting, vile. I couldn't process the thought of them actually treating her like that. But I could believe it. After seeing what was in those brief cases, it was hard not to. It still hurt though, thinking about her past. She endured that torture for years, until she finally escaped. But she is safe now, and that is enough to satisfy me. As for Uki, he stopped acting strange the night he proposed. I surprised myself, actually thinking he would cheat. Deep inside, I knew it wasn't true, but I didn't dive down deep enough to know that I knew. I must of hurt his feelings that night. I made him think I didn't trust him. I can imagine myself in the same situation. I would have been hurt. But he didn't say anything about it. Maybe he understood my suspicion. The texts, leaving for hours, it was hard to think that he wasn't. But, I still feel bad about it, so I am going to make him a special dinner.

"Hey Uki?" I shouted up the stairs "could you run down to the store and get some juice?"

"Sure" he shouted back down.

He then came jogging down the stairs and to the front door. I smiled then turned back to the stairs.

"Maria" I shouted "you wanna go to the shops with, Daddy?" I

"yeah" she shouted.

She then came running down the stairs and over to Uki.

"can we go to the park to?" she asked.

"Sure" he giggled.

I then walked over and helped Maria put on her shoes. They then walked out the door, smiling and waving.

"I better get to work" I said, after shutting the front door.

I walked into the kitchen and started preparing all the food. It took longer than expected, but it wasn't an issue. Maria and Uki staid out later as well. When they got back, I sa Uki carrying all the bahs, with Maria asleep on his back. I smiled and said "I'll go put her to bed"

"ok" said Uki

I then walked over and lifted her off his back. I carried her up the stairs, took of her shoes and jacket and put her into the bed. I then walked out the room, being as quiet as possible, slowly closing the door.

"good night" I whispered before going back down the stairs. When I reached the bottom, I realised that I forgot about the food. I was so focused on Maria, I forgot to hide the food.

"did you make all this" asked Uki from the kitchen.

I nodded.

"its my way of saying sorry" I said "for accusing you of cheating"

"you didn't need to do that" he said "you thought that there was evidence"

"but still" I said "I didn't trust you"

"and I don't blame you" he said.

He then walked over and wrapped his arms around me.

"You don't need to worry about that anymore" he said "its in the past. I would never get mad at you for showing that you really care about me. That you want me for yourself. I would have assumed the same if I saw texts"

I hugged him back.

"thank you" I said "now, the foods getting cold. Lets at, okay?"

"ok" he giggled.

After dinner we washed the dishes.

"I was thinking" I said

"ooh, that's dangerous" Uki said