Chapter Thirty-Six

Annie’s POV

“Alright guys, since this is the last day of school before winter break I’ll let whoever is up for it entertain the class. I need to get some work done for the talent show.” Zak said circling around his desk and taking a seat in his chair.

There were only twelve of us out of our normal twenty three. It wasn’t abnormal for people to skip on days like today, but me; well I had my reasons for being here. I placed my chin in my palm, leaning slightly forward on the desk as Danielle took a seat on the piano bench.

She wasn’t the one I was focused on, but I’m sure by now that was no surprise.

Zak was steady sorting through the paper piles scattered across his desk. Mostly of sheet music that people left and he had to go over, making sure it was school appropriate.

I took in the sight of him, never growing tired of his perfection. He picked up a piece of paper and held it in front of him, his eyes sparkling from the fluorescent lights above. His forehead creased as he read through the lyrics carefully. He slammed the paper down and scribbled something on it before running his fingers through his hair.

He was obviously frustrated and I giggled some.

Zak looked up at me from the corner of his eye and I bit my lip, knowing I just got caught staring. He smirked quickly then pulled his face back into teacher mode.

“Miss Evans, is there a problem?”

I sat up straight as the few people turned to look at me.

“Um, No sir?” Making it sound like I was asking a question.

“I know you find me extremely handsome but please, try not to stare.” The smirk back full force- covering his face.

A few sets of laughter broke out across the room and I felt my face go from normal to crimson in seconds. I haven’t seen the cocky Zak in a while.

“Sorry Mr. Stone, but I wasn’t staring at you.” I looked around his desk and that’s when I noticed something out of the ordinary sticking out of his laptop bag. “I was staring at the rose poking out of your bag.”

He glanced down and picked it up, by now the whole class was listening intently on our conversation.

“What, this?” He stood up and started walking my way, pulling out one of the thorns.

I kept my eyes glued on his, even this far apart and not touching; I could still feel the electricity between us.

“Yeah, who might that be for?” I questioned with a small smile.

Cara who finally pulled her attention away from her texting bumped my shoulder. “Don’t push it. You are causing a scene between you two.” She whispered as Zak stood in front of us.

I shooed her away, not breaking the eye contact with Zak.

“This.” He held up the rose and started to lower it down to me but quickly moved it over to Cara. “Is from Greg; He dropped it off during lunch Miss Jones.”

An excited Cara took the flower from Zak and smelled it.

“Thanks Mr. Stone.” She whipped out her cell phone and I’m guessing started texting Greg.

I was a little bit irritated; they didn’t have to hide their relationship. Everyone got to see them together and see just how in love they were.

How I wish that could be Zak and I.

Zak saw my mood change and glanced around real quick, when everyone stopped focus on us; he ran the back of his fingers against my cheek and pushed my bangs out of my eyes before returning to his desk.