Chapter Four

Once dance practice was over, Cara and I headed back to my place for some girl time. Even with her mouth talking over low music, I still couldn't shake Mr. Stone's boldness out of my mind. He was pieces of blissful work rolled up in one man. He definitely knew how to catch and keep your attention.

“So is Jason coming over later?”

“I doubt it, he said something about Andrew and video games.”

“He would rather play video games with Andrew then have his hands all over you? Are you sure he’s not gay?”

I glared at Cara with a look that could kill.

“Okay, okay.” Holding her hands in a surrender way.

As we turned onto my street, I saw a moving van right next door.

“Finally that house sold. It’s been up for sale since Christmas.”

“Hopefully you have decent neighbors.”

We pulled into the drive way and I opened my car door, not realizing anything out of the ordinary until a black, brown and white dog started sniffing at my feet with his tail wagging happily.

"Aw, hey there!" I bent down to his level and was awarded with a face full of dog slobber.

"Did you get a dog without telling me?"

I started scratching the dog’s ear while I looking up at Cara. "Of course not. I think I'd tell you something like that."

"Well let's go ask the new neighbors. He probably wondered over here."

As Cara was looking towards the house next door, my hand snagged on the do’s collar.

"Hang on." I brushed his hair out of my way and saw a tiny silver tag with cursive writing.

Hi, My Name is Bentley

Owner: Zak Stone

453 Circle Lane

I blinked a few times, making sure my eyes weren’t playing tricks on me.

“Annie, what’s wrong? Does he have a name?”

“Yeah, Bentley. Owner, Zak Stone.” I slowly stood up and keep my focus on her as I held onto the dogs collar.

Finally it hit. She gasped and looked around frantically.

“Do you think Mr. Stone is your new neighbor?”

“Well there’s only one way to find out.”

I let Bentley go and he ran straight over to the moving van. We followed him and saw a man walking backwards carrying a decent sized box. He had the same familiar messy brown hair as Mr. Stone. But now he was in basketball shorts and a tee. You could tell just how muscular he was, that shirt did him justice, that’s for damn sure.

“Mr. Stone?” My voice was shaky and came out rather shyly.

The man turned and looked straight at me, the familiar smile spreading infectiously across his beautiful face. 

“Zak, remember?”

“Right, sorry.”

I blushed and made eye contact a big no-no; a huge lump forming in my throat, threating to end conversation between us.

“What are...are you helping a friend move in?”

He sat the box down on the sidewalk, shaking his arms out in front of him as if they'd gone numb.

“No, I’m moving in.”

He looked behind me at Cara and laughed.

“Hey Miss Jones”