}« Three »{

⊱⋇⊰⊱⊛⊰⊱⋇⊰

     Any chance of sleep before the sudden hailing was slim- now, it was damn near impossible. Rey bolted out of her bed, her survival instincts kicking in at the imposing threat she faced- mind control.

     She stood, stoic- waiting for a repeat offense that had jolted her out of the previous stupor. When one didn’t come after minutes of waiting, she had convinced herself it was just a dream. 

     As she climbed back into her bad and scolded herself for being so anxious, however, she got another unwelcome message- Rey?

It was too unexpected, Rey screamed out in fear.

     Without delay, Thane was immediately in her room. “What’s happened?” He demanded, intently searching for any threat that compromised Rey’s safety. 

     Rey, shaking, knew without a doubt she had to play it off like an embarrassing accident. “Sorry,” she quickly apologized. “It was just a spider. I killed it though,” she added when he immediately came forward, searching for the culprit. 

     “It’s alright.” He said warmly. “I do that sometimes too,” he joked, playing it off. Rey was tempted to laugh. 

     “Have a nice night.” He consoled, leaving the room and shutting the door behind him.

     As soon as the door was fully closed, Rey jumped out of the bed once more. “Can you hear me?” She demanded out loud, speaking to the ghost voice suddenly haunting her head.

     A moment’s delay caused her anger. Of course it couldn’t hear her. She was just being delusional.

And then it replied- and suddenly, before her, a view snapped into clarity. 

     An elderly man had appeared right in front of her eyes. He was encloaked in a dark brown robe, his gray hair ruffled and ungroomed. In short, he appeared to be an underfed street urchin.

     But as soon as Rey laid eyes upon his surroundings- an isolated, rocky island- she gasped.

     “You’re him!” She said, any trace of anger gone as she took the sight in. She’d heard hushed whispers about the myth during trade dealings on Jakku, and had picked up on the scraps of information to complete the story. Luke Skywalker used to be a Jedi Master- a peacekeeper of the Old Republic- and had brought the downfall of the Galactic Empire with the defeat of the Emperor and his infamous apprentice, Darth Vader. Rumor had it the apprentice had helped overthrow Sidious, too. Rey wasn’t sure how she felt about that one, but nonetheless, she gaped in wonder at the sight before her.

     “I do believe I already informed you of my name,” Skywalker replied. His eyes darted down from hers in what Rey recognized as shame. But why would he be shameful? He was a legend!

“That’s the problem.” He said, as if having read her mind

     “Not reading your mind. You just broadcast your thoughts very loudly. Opinions aside,” he added, preventing her from gasping in outrage, “That’s actually why I’ve hailed you tonight. That’s how we refer to it; force-sensitives can communicate almost telepathically.”

Rey raised her eyebrow. “You’re saying I’m for-” Luke then quickly rushed to hush her. 

     “Don’t say those words out loud.” He patronized quietly, stepping closer to her through their vision to meet her inches away from the seeming breach. “There are cameras and machines that can pick up anything you say out loud. Now, listen to me.”