Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Taylor Tuom

"Do you, um... Do you want to get out of here?" he asks finally, licking his lips and making the lip ring he didn't have two years ago glimmer.

I weighed my options before deciding. I could stay here and follow Evan around like a lost puppy, then go home with him after, where I know I'd do things I'd regret the next morning. Or I could leave right now with Luke, a boy I've known my entire life practically, but also a boy who unknowingly broke my heart two years ago.

"Hell yes," I answered without hesitation.

We ended up going to this shabby little diner just down the street from my apartment. First, though, we stopped at my humble home so I could change into something more comfortable (which was just a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt supporting my old high school). (Luckily, I avoided any contact with Kaytlin, whom I knew would question me endlessly). Luke remained in his black slacks and white button down, although he loosened the tie around his and appeared more laid back.

"What can I get you two tonight?" the waitress, nametag reading Clara, asked as we were sat at the diner booth.

"I'll just take a coffee," I tell her. "Black. Thanks."

"Um, same," Luke says.

Clara the Waitress wonders off to behind the bar of the diner, preparing our coffees. Meanwhile, I turned to Luke to get a conversation started. He didn't ask me to leave the party with him for just any ole reason. There was something far beyond that.

"How have you been?" Luke asks.

"Alright," I reply. "Been taking up classes at a uni near here and interning at So Teen!"

"That's good," he speaks softly.

Clara the Waitress returns soon after Luke says that, setting our coffees on the table. She asks if we're okay for now, to which Luke assures here we are, then walks off to assist another table.

"How have you been?" I ask the same question Luke had.

"Pretty good, yeah," he replies, stirring creamer into his warm drink.

"Life must been pretty good when you're a famous rockstar," I chuckle, taking a sip from my cup.

"It's really good, actually," he says, staring down at his cup with a shit-eating grin adorning his features.

"Well," I say.

He looks up at me. "What?"

"Tell me about it!" I exclaim, giving the boy an encouraging smile.

Although I had a rough past because of this boy, I was able to put it aside. It couldn't hurt to be friends with him, after all. He didn't intentionally hurt me. For what it's worth, he didn't even know what he did exactly.

"You know how I left that next week?" he asks, and yes, I knew exactly what he was talking about.

"Yes." I nod, a sad feeling forming in the very pits of my stomach.