Chapter Twenty-Nine

Taylor's stomach resembles the fifth month mark.

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Taylor Tuom

"Are you scared?" I ask Luke, who, believe it or not, was squeezing the life out of my hand.

"No, not at all." He shakes his head.

"Are you sure? Because you're squeezing my hand extremely tight," I respond.

"Sorry," he says, loosening his grip. "I am a little nervous. I hope it's a boy."

"It's a girl," I state.

"You don't know that yet," Luke replies.

"And you don't know it's a boy," I tease.

"Just let me have this, okay?" He pouts. "I just want a little guy so I can dress him like my little punk rocker and show him how to play soccer and be cool like his dad."

"But what if it's a girl?" I seriously ask, but there was no doubt in my mind that Luke would love her any less.

"I'll treat her like my little princess, then," he replies.

"Good." I smile. "Because it's a girl."

"I hate you."

"I love you," I reply, leaning towards him and pressing my lips to his briefly.

"Okay, Mr. and Mrs. Hemmings," my baby doctor, Dr. Wayward, speaks when she enters.

And although Luke and I aren't married (yet), we don't bother to correct her. We get it a lot as it is.

"Are you ready for your ultrasound?" Dr. Wayward questions.

"Anxious, but yes," I answer, nodding my head.

"Okay, you know the drill, hon," the middle aged woman says.

I lift the hem of my (well, Luke's) t-shirt, revealing my stretch-mark covered stomach. I grew a lot more at 5 months with this baby than I did with Axl. Axl was also premature, though, and had a deathly birth defect.

"It's going to be cold, but I'm sure you already know that," Dr. Wayward teasingly warns.

"This isn't my first trip to you, Dr. Wayward," I chuckle.

She rubs the chilling ultrasound jelly across my stomach, taking the ultrasound tool to run it over me. Luke squeezes my hand softly as our baby appears on the screen, having obviously grown more than the last time we were here (a month ago).

"There's your baby," Dr. Wayward says. "Would you like to know the sex?"

"Yes," Luke and I answer at the same time.

"Looks like you're expecting another little boy," she tells us.

Luke's eyes light up as he does a celebratory, "Yes!" and then, "I told you, Tay."

I roll my eyes, a huge smile on my face nonetheless. I still loved our baby all the same. We'll have a little girl someday, but not today.

//////

"How about Alex?" I ask Luke, scrolling through the various baby boy names on my laptop.

"Too common," Luke replies, feeding me a spoonful of vanilla ice cream and 4 cheese Mexican shredded cheese (a very common craving of mine lately).

"Tyson?" I suggest.

"Reminds me of chicken and our son is not about to be a chicken," Luke states firmly.