Chapter 5

Lucy's POV

Every three months on tour, I get a Saturday off. I woke up in my hotel room, in my bed. My head was throbbing. That's strange... I don't remember going to bed last night. The last thing I remember is running down to pick up my shattered iPhone.

I looked around the hotel room. On top of the tv stand sat a white iPhone. Was last night just a nightmare? I slipped from my covers and walked slowly over to the phone. Right when I picked it up, it vibrated, causing me to drop it on the carpeted floor.

"Shit," I muttered getting down on all fours. The phone had fallen and bounced underneath the tv stand.

"What are you doing?" a male voice said in confusion.

It couldn't be. It wasn't-

"Liam!" I sprung up from the floor and pulled my brother into a hug.

"Good to see you, too," he hugged back, "Now where has my phone gone?" he furrowed his eyebrows.

Oh. I guess last night really did happen. And my phone really is broken. And Connor really believes I ignored him.

"I-uh might have accidentally dropped it underneath the tv stand."

Liam let out a laugh, as he squatted on the ground and easily retrieved it.

"So... how did I get up here?"

"You mean in your room?"

"Yeah. I don't really remember."

"You always were a lousy drunk. Remember at that party Junior year when you-"

"Liam?" I questioned again.

"Well when I got here you were sobbing on the concrete ground next to your destroyed phone - not sure how you managed to do that - so I carried you back to your room."

"Oh."

"And your phone. I took it to the nearest Verizon this morning. There were no 5s' in stock, so they gave you a temporary phone. It kinda sucks," he explained, handing me a ratty, old flip-phone.

"You're telling me," I said under my breath.

"It can only make calls, and it's a different number, and it gets really crappy service."

"Wonderful," I groaned. 

But I needed to call Connor. I didn't remember where he was on tour, but I knew it was probably early to call. Maybe leave a message.

I dialed Connor's number, which I knew by heart, and waited patiently for the lady to tell me to leave a message after the beep.

"Hey, Con, It's Lucy. I'm sorry about last night, it's a long story. But if you could call me on this number, I really want to explain."

"What happened last night? When I showed up, I had to take you back to the hotel."

"Me and Connor. We were suppose to talk every night, but we haven't since I freaked out on him. Then last night he called and this guy, Lucas, just put him to voicemail. And then the fucktard threw my phone over the balcony. And that was that."

"Oh, that asshole? He came by early this morning when I was coming back from Verizon. He told me he was your boyfriend. I just laughed at him and shooed him away... guess I gotta protect my baby sister from a psycho."

"I almost forgot," I said punching Liam in the shoulder.

"Ow, what the hell was that for?"

"You missed my spray-painting! I was waiting all day for you to come!"