Chapter 19

Connor's POV

Everything felt different. Suddenly, I didn't know why I was even mad at Lucy. Wasn't I the one who told her to leave? But I didn't tell her to leave with some guy. But Tyler said she hates him. But what does Tyler know. 

Then again. What do know? Not really anything.

I spent the rest of the morning walking along the beach. I hadn't slept in more than twenty four hours, and I didn't have time to now. I was alone with my thoughts.

"OH MY GOD, IT'S CONNOR FRANTA!" I heard a girl scream.

was alone.

"Hi," I smiled.

"Hi, Connor Franta. Can we take a selfie?"

"Sure."

After that picture, came another, and another. And I ended up spending two more hours on that beach.

Finally leaving, I drove to a place for lunch. While sitting in one of the small booths, I took the shark tooth out of my pocket again. I played with it, spinning it between my fingers.

I remembered, before the shark incident happened, Liam said to me, "Thank you." And I was confused so I answered with, "For what?" And he said, "Lucy seems to be a lot happier with you. I never thought I'd see her smile as much as she used to."

What if me ignoring her made her depressed again? It certainly made me more depressed. 

I remembered that after he had said that I responded with, "I told you, I can do complicated." At the time, I thought I was telling the truth. But after evaluating my choices over the past few months, I had lied to Liam, and I had lied to myself.

If I really could do complicated, I would have been able to deal with Lucy going on tour. Why couldn't I? Why couldn't I do complicated like I said I would?

The waitress placed my lunch on the table with a smile. I forced a smile, and said "Thank you."

I remembered one more thing. It was a little video I had made for the girl I loved. I had titled it "Surprise!" I smiled to myself as I watched the video.

"Hey, guys. I'm here with Luce."

"Hey!"

"Today is Lucy's birthday."

"Yup."

"Birthday punches!"

"Put 'em up, put 'em up!" we were laughing and throwing fake punches at each other.

"Anyways I would like to start off by saying - gettout!"

"It's getout!" Lucy had said imitating Miranda Sings.

"Okay. I've been hiding something from you guys, and I think it's about time you knew. I met Lucy back in December, and we immediately became close friends. Today, on her birthday, I would like to share her dysfunctionalness-is that a word? I don't know, well it's a word now."

The video transitioned into another video, "Tell us, Luce, why you will not go in the water," I said. The camera turned to Lucy, "Because I'm not going to."

The video changed again to the clip of me carrying Lucy into the ocean. "PUT ME DOWN, CONNOR! I'M SERIOUS! I DON'T WANT TO GO IN THERE!" Lucy was screaming. Ricky laughed behind the camera, "Look at how many people are looking at them." 

Another video came on my phone screen. It was dark out. "What happened when I dragged you into the water Lucy?" The camera turned to Lucy. "A freaking shark was in there."