Chapter 1 : Nightmare

Dayu's POV

Again I'm stuck in the same spiral case. No matter if I had climbed up hundreds of steps, I kept coming back to the same spot. Without the light bulb overhead, the darkness could have engulfed me. Climbing another steps, then I heard it.

"Sweet dreams are made of these

Who had a mind to disagree?"

This voice again... It was sweet and smooth, like silk. As soothing to the tongue as chocolates. Rich and vibrant, flowing and hauntingly pure, made my eyes unconsciously closing up and I felt my body was being pulled gently towards the voice.

"Travel the world and the seven seas

Everybody's looking for something"

My legs were still carrying me up but my brain was working, trying to remember something. Something, someone, important that I forgot.

I knew this voice... It was m....

BAM!

Thoughts were scattered and my eyes opened abruptly as I heard a door being closed loudly. The voice was gone and there was total silent.

I was now stood in front of a closed dark wood door, the immensely familiar door that lead to my old bedroom. Curiously, I looked down at the stairs, and then the hallway down below. My old house. I rested one hand lightly on the banister, and it felt wrong. It was rough, as if something had dried on it. The carpet under me was ruined, soaked and smeared. It was when the smell hit me. Dirty, pungent. Especially strong from my old room.

Hesitated, I put my hand to the handle, touching it with my fingertips. Nothing could be heard from behind the door. I turned the handle and pushed the door open, and the air inside the room rushed out, dense with the smell of blood.

Inside sat a man on his knee in the middle of the room. I couldn't see his face clearly as he clutched his hands over his face and his long silver hair covered half of his face. But it was clear that he was crying. His sobs echoed through the empty room. When he cried, there was a rawness to it as if the pain was still an open wound.

"Find him.." The man cracked a voice between the sobs without looking up at me.

"Find him and let me out" he said. It was a flutter, a tip louder than a whisper. But I could hear him clearly.

Who was he? I was about to take a step, and only then I was aware of his surroundings. I stupefied, glancing into my old bedroom. Blood flared off every surface, dried and dark but still vibrating with violence, fear hung in the air like smoke.

The fear sat on me like a pillow over my mouth and nose, crippling my body from functioning. But something in me pushed through the fear, I had to save him! Right before I took a stop forward, a cold hand tugged my shoulder backward and I ended falling on the floor as I heard the door slammed close.

Before I could mutter a curse, I realized I wasn't alone and I wasn't safe. Around me stood people with a deathly pale face with their eyes burnt out and black. A pair of hand tried to choke me and I screamed as loud as I could.

"AARRGHH!!"

"AARRGHH!!"

As my eyes opened, my limbs flexed in shock. I awoke with my back up straight on soft sheets, cold sweat washed over my face and chest, heart trying to escape through my throat the first chance it could get. The morning light that trickled in through the blinds brought me back into reality. That nightmare again, I thought. I laid back again on my bed, debating whether or not I should get up. My muscle felt weak, also I had no energy even though I just woke up.

I let out an exasperated sigh, groaning as I rolled of the bed. The same nightmare kept hunting me for the past week. The extraordinary beautiful voice, the man and the scary people were all vividly imprinted in my memory. In the dream, I knew whose voice it was. I knew it by heart like it was mine. But it was impossible. I couldn't sing and I didn't like to sing. Obviously the voice was the crying man's in my old bedroom.

Who the hell was he? Everything was so vivid, but I never had the chance to look at his face closely. Also what did he mean with "Find him and let me out"?? Find who? Let him out? Did he need my help? Why me? All these questions shot through my mind as I strolled to the bathroom to get a warm bath.

After the nice warm bath, I felt much better. It's time to start the day. I was in the kitchen eating the turkey sandwich and a cup of chocolate when my phone rang throughout the apartment. Shit! Where did I put my phone? I jumped off the bar stool and went to hunt the freaking phone. There it was stuck under my pillow. I looked at the name on the display and sighed.

"Hi Mum"

"Feng Jianyu!! Happy 21st Birthday!! Why didn't you call me yesterday? You promised! Oh wait, do you have work today? Don't be late for dinner tonight. You never come back home since you moved out. OH! I baked your favourite cake." As always, she babbled away at a mile a minute without giving me a chance to talk at all. But I didn't have the heart to just cut off the call.

"Mum! I just moved out last week. And oh yeah, in fact I'll come in the afternoon. I don't have to work today. The kids are all on vacation. But I have to do some chores first." I turned 21 years old today, so my mum decided to invite me, my sister and Jedd, her fiancé, over for dinner.

I moved out from my mum's in Claremont to my new cosy two bedrooms apartment in San Diego last week after I took the job offer as an art teacher at a private school in San Diego. To be completely honest, I was relieved that I didn't have to sleep alone in my apartment tonight. I just couldn't after that repetitive bizarre nightmare. 

"Oh my God! Ok then, you do whatever you need to do. I have to prepare a lot of things! Bye baby, see you later. Love you!"

"Bye mum. Love you too." I chuckled. She was always full of energy and I really did love my mum. Since my dad passed away, she worked really hard to feed me and my sister. Even though life was hard, she never gave up on us.

After finishing my breakfast, I got off work. Well, not really work, I only have to go buy some paints and canvases for the kids. I loved kids and art, so I decided to be an art teacher. I jumped in to my bright red Audi TT. I worked my ass off for this baby! Turned on the engine, music blaring through the speaker.

I remember the day you told me you were leaving
The make up running down your face
And the dreams you left behind you didn't need them
Like every single wish we ever made

I wish that I could wake up with amnesia
And forget about the stupid little things
Like the way it felt to fall asleep next to you
And the memories I never can escape

"'Cause I'm not fine at all!!" I tried to sing the last part. Keyword: tried. I sounded like a pig being slaughtered instead. Ugh I never fond of singing because of this. I couldn't! Now now, don't get me wrong. I loved music and dancing, but everytime I sang, it felt like something was missing, like it wasn't my voice when I was singing.

Oh yeah, I was also not fine at all. I had an amnesia when I was 6. That was the day when my dad passed away. My mum told me our house got into fire, and as my dad tried to save me, he got stuck inside instead and the firefighter didn't get there in time to help him. If I remembered what my mum told me, I got depressed again.

I couldn't remember how my dad saved me. Hell, I even didn't remember the fire! I remembered nothing, well, except my old bedroom. Somehow it was the only thing I remembered about my old house. It was weird, but my mum said it was normal. Because it was really a bad accident and I got trauma.

But I didn't like it a bit. I had so many questions about that day, because ever since the accident, I felt a part of me was missing. I didn't feel like myself. My mum and sister never talked about the accident again even when I pushed them to answer my questions.

All of a sudden, the nightmare flooding back in my head. My entire body went rigid with the memory being projected into my mind. I was going to be crazy if I had another nightmare tonight.