Zoe

"Zoe, darling, it's time to go to the park." I jumped out of my bed hopping up and down. I had been waiting to go to the park for days. My mum said I asked to go to the park too often so we were only allowed to go every four days or so. 

I skipped over to my mirror and pulled two hair boubles off of my desk. Then I roughly pulling my hair up in two high ponytails. That was the way I loved my hair. It kept it out of my face so I could get more dirty in the sand and have more fun. Mum always told me I looked silly, but I didn't care. 

"I'm ready Mummy!" I shouted down the stairs and I started to run down them. 

"Sweetie, don't run," Mum said as she picked me up and moved me over to the bench by the doorway. She slipped my socks onto my toes and helped me ease my feet into my shoes. I started to kick my feet back in forth in anticipation. "Zoe, stop," my mum said gently. I couldn't stop though, I was just so excited. 

The second the last buckle was done on my shoe I jumped off the bench and ran out the door. Mum didn't like me to go too far without her though so I sat on the small patch of grass outside. Whilst I waited for Mum to come outside I counted all the black ants I saw. 

There were whole lines of them travelling across the pavement. Some of them were even carrying pieces of food!! I found them fascinating and for a few minutes I completely forgot about going to the park and only cared about my ants. 

"Come on darling, we're going now," my mum said coming out of the front door and locking it behind her. 

"Mummy, we can't leave my pet ants," I whined. I wanted to bring them all to the park with me. They were so cute. 

"You can see them when you get back honey," she said taking my hand and starting to lead me down the pavement towards the park. We lived really close to it, so we were there by the time I sang the alphabet to myself five whole times. Super quick! 

When we got to the park there were already a lot of kids there. My mum sat down on a bench and I ran over to a few of the kids on the swings. 

"Hi, can I play with you?" I asked to a girl with pretty brown braids. 

"Sorry, I can't," she said in a snooty tone before hopping off the swing and walking over to the slide. I didn't mind though, no one usually wanted to play with me. I had to ask a lot of people, and then I ended up playing by myself. That's okay, it was pretty fun playing by myself. 

After the girl with the braids turned me down I went up to a girl with dark skin and a boy with blond hair. "Can I play with you?" I asked. I smiled widely; Mummy told me smiling made you look prettier. 

"Sorry, we're busy already," the boy said. The girl just nodded and they turned away from me. I felt a little hurt, but there were still plenty of other people to ask to play with me. 

I went up to a girl with blonde curly hair, and a girl with black hair. A boy with light brown hair and even a baby who obviously didn't even know how to talk yet. None of them wanted to play with me so I sat down in the sand and started to play with myself. 

It wasn't worth asking anyone anymore, they were just always going to say no anyway. On a plus side, I always had fun playing with myself, I didn't need the other kids to have fun. There wasn't a point talking to them if they weren't even going to be nice to me. 

Since I was used to playing alone I had many imaginary friends. They didn't exist in real life, but to me they were real. In total I had four main pretend friends and some new ones would come and go. The main ones were named Anna, Alice, Abraham, and Adam. 

I was obessed with the letter A, I think the reason I liked it so much was because it was the first letter of the alphabet. I knew that even though I hadn't gone to school yet! My mummy said I was the smartest four year old that she ever knew! My name started with a Z, the last letter in the alphabet, and I think that's why I liked A so much. 

I played with Anna, Alice, Abraham, and Adam for a long time before my mummy got up from the bench where she was sitting and walked over to me. "Are you ready to go home Zo?" she asked, shoving her knitting back into her back. 

"Yes, mummy," I said quickly, slipping my hand into hers as we walked home. I let Anna hold my hand on the way back even though it made Alice jealous. I would let Alice hold my hand on the way to the park the next time we went. 

When we got back home I said hello to my ant friends before going inside to wash up for dinner. It had been such a fun day at the park I couldn't wait to go back next week! 

xxx