Alfie

The next day I knew I had to go to Zoe's. I had to explain myself. When I went down for breakfast my mum was there waiting for me. She put down the paper she was reading and asked me to sit. "Do you still like Zoe?" she asked looking at me intensely. I suddenly regretted telling her that back when I was only six years old. 

"Mum, it's been ten years," I said slowly breaking our eye contact. 

"Do you still like her?" she asked yet again, the intenseity in her voice rising. I paused, I knew that I still liked her. I really did, but I also liked Niomi. I don't think my mum would be too on board with me liking two different girls at the same time. 

"I don't-" I started to say. I was going to say I don't know, but I stopped myself. "I don't. I don't like her anymore." The second I said it I felt funny and stood up. "I'm going to go on a walk," I said quickly pushing in my chair and rushing out the door. 

For some reason I thought riding my bike would help me clear my mind and I got my rusty old piece of metal from behind the house. I hadn't ridden it in ages, but once I got on again it felt amazing. When i was younger, I always though that riding a bike was as close as humans would ever get to flying. 

I biked to Zoe's house and ran the doorbell. Joe answered the door. The young 12 year old smiled at me. I had never really talked to him before and maybe now would be a good time to get to know him better. 

"Hi Joe. Is your sister home?" I asked looking into the house to try and see if she sitting in one of the chairs downstairs. I couldn't see her, so she might be upstairs or not home at all. 

"She's not home, but you can come in if you would like." Joe led me to the couch and told me that Zoe and his mum were out shopping and his dad was at work, but he could text Zoe and ask if she was coming home soon. 

I nodded and said this was all a good plan as I sat down. I was looking around at the house I knew so well and the bare Christmas tree in the corner. She hadn't decorated it without me yet. "They're on their way home," Joe said after a long awkward silence where nothing was spoken. 

This was it, this was time to get to know Joe better. "So Joe, how are you?" I asked, mentalling kicking myself for asking such a stupid question. 

"I'm good," he said slowly before asking me a question about myself. This went back and forth whilst we waiting for Zoe and it was nice to get to know Zoe's brother for once. 

xxx