Alfie

The next morning I woke up early so I could make sure I looked nice for when I talked to this girl at recess. I stood in front of the mirror for an hour trying to make sure that everything I was wearing looked nice and my hair wasn't too messy. 

When my mum walked in to wake me up, she was surprised to find me already awake. "You're up early!" she said smiling at me. 

"It's for a girl, you wouldn't understand," I said walking past her down to the kitchen to get myself some breakfast before we got in the car to go to school. She just laughed at me and helped me get a bowl for my cereal down from the top shelf. 

_______________

Normally I liked school, but today was agonising. I couldn't pay attention to anything my teacher was saying and I think I missed out on the whole lesson about vowels. It was okay though because I already knew all my vowels. A, E, I, V, and W. I didn't need to pay attention. 

After about two hours we were finally allowed to go outside. I immediately ran over to the corner, but the year ones weren't outside yet. I sat down on the curb and waited for the girl to come over. When the year ones got out she came straight over to her corner, but once she say me she started to walk away. 

I stood up and spoke quickly. "Wait! Can I talk to you?" I walked over to her. She stopped running away and looked at me a bit shyly, but didn't say anything. "My name's Alfie," I said sticking my hand out. "Alfie Sidney." For some reason I said my middle name. I don't know why, but I thought she would like to know it. 

"My name's Zoe Elizabeth," she said quietly. At first I didn't hear her, but then her voice registered in my mind and I smiled. 

"Nice to meet you!" I said sticking my hand out. She looked confused at first but moved her hand out to meet mine. I shook her hand heavily and smiled. We walked over and just sat on the corner of the curb, and didn't talk. It was nice though. 

"My teacher's name is my middle name," she said suddenly out of nowhere. Her voice was still so soft, but I couldn't help but smile. Then I realised we had something in common. 

"My teacher's name is my middle name too!" I said smiling. We didn't talk again after that, but when the bell rang she said she would see me tomorrow in her timid voice. I really hoped that I would see her tomorrow, because she was beautiful. 

xxx