Alfie

At the end of the day I found Niomi in the courtyard and we started to walk to my house. I looked down the hallway where my locker was to see if Zoe was waiting for me yet, but I didn't see her. She would be okay walking home by herself, and I would go over to her house tomorrow to watch Elf with her and help her decorate the tree. Everything would be fine. 

The whole way back to my house Niomi was talking and telling me about herself, and I just walked alone side her and listened. It was really interesting to hear about her life. I had always imagined that since she was so beautiful she lived such a perfect life, but it didn't sound that way as she talked. 

"I'm sorry people aren't always nice to you," I said softly when she told me how there were days were she didn't want to go to school because of how terrible her friends made her feel. "I'll be here for you no matter what," I said repeating words that I had told Zoe whenever she had her panic attacks. It felt strange saying the same words to Niomi, but it also felt right for some reason. 

When we got to my house, my mum was surprised to see that I was even home, without Zoe, and with a different girl. She gave me the look before turning to Niomi and holding our her hand. "Hi, I'm Amanda, it's nice to meet you," she said holding out the last words as if waiting for Niomi to say her name. 

"Niomi," the blond haired girl said shaking my mum's outstretched hand. She gave me the look again before retreating into her sewing room to work. My mum was a seamstress and was constantly fixing other people's clothes for them. 

"Are you hungry?" I asked pulling out a bowl and filling it with crisps. 

"A little," she said sitting on one of the bar stools. "Your house is so nice," she said looking around at all the pictures on the walls. I let a slight blush creep into my cheeks when her eyes settled on a picture of me from my first day of year two. That was the day I met Zoe for the first time. A lot had changed since then. 

"How long have you known Zoe?" she asked as if she was reading my mind. Whilst I gathered my thoughts she grabbed a few crisps and put them in her mouth carefully. 

"For about ten years; since I was six," I said with a smile. I sat down on the bar stool next for her and watched her as she finished off one of her crisps. 

"This is a really weird question, but are you guys," she paused. "You know? Together?" she asked looking away as soon as she asked it. 

My heart pounded in my chest and my head started to throb. You wish you were together, I thought to myself, but of course I didn't say that. "No," I said with a smile in her direction taking another crisp from the bowl. 

xxx