Alfie

My teacher for year two was a nice man who we were told to call Mr. Sidney. I was surprised that this was his name, because Sidney was my middle name. I told him so right when I met him and he smiled at me and laughed. He seemed nice enough. 

The other students in my class all seemed so cool and nice. I talked to all of them and found them to be really kind to me. None of them were all that special though and I seemed much more intelligent than them. Maybe I would be friends with some of them, but maybe not. 

For the first three hours of school we learned our numbers, those were my worst subject. I realised that my younger sister was actually only four years younger than me. I didn't tell anyone that I had been wrong though, because I hated being wrong. It was so much more fun to be right! 

After maths we had recess. Recess didn't used to be something I liked because I had never been to the park before, but after I had taken my trips to the park during the summer I was looking forward to the outdoor time. 

When I walked outside and there was a slide I couldn't help but smile. I walked up the tall structure to get to the slide but to my surprise thee was already a long line of kids waiting to slide down the plastic tube. One thing I really hated was waiting in lines. 

I felt like I was waiting in the line for about ten hours before I finally got to go down the slide. It wasn't even that great. I just kind of plopped down at the bottom. I decided it wasn't worth it to get in that long line again. 

I decided to spend the rest of my short recess time to look for the girl I had seen at the park. She looked quite young so I didn't think she was in year two like me, but I was hoping she was at least in year 1. I knew that the two years had recess together so I should be able to find her. 

All the kids were all lined up at different things like the swings and the slides and I instantly find one outlier. She was wearing a violet dress and such interesting tights. I instantly knew that that was the girl from the park.

A lot of people got what my mum called shyness where they were scared to go up and talk to people, but I wasn't ever shy. I liked talking to people and I wasn't that scared to go up to her. 

As I got closer to her I realised that she was talking to herself. That didn't seem to make any sense to me though so after some quick deducing I realised that she must have imaginary friends. I had some when I was her age, but of course in my older age I didn't have them anymore. 

"Hello! I'm Alfie!" I said loudly when I was close enough to the girl to see the freckles on her face. 

She jumped and looked at me with her eyes. They were wide open and she looked so scared, I think her body was shaking. She just walked away from me very quickly and didn't say anything. I felt a bit offended. Why would someone not want to talk to me? 

I wanted to go up and talk to her again, but it was time to go in and learn more. I decided that I would try to talk to her again tomorrow. Hopefully she wouldn't be so shy tomorrow. I hoped that shyness went away after a few days because I really wanted to get to know her better. 

xxx